HOB refugiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I have an HOB filter right now, but was kidna thininga bout something a little bit better, I was wondering if their is a HOB refugium that is similiar in design to a HOB filter,

I am askin cuase well, a sump is out of the quistion, I dont want to drill, and the only other way to run a sump would be deadly to the tank if I ever lost power (power head going, out, all the water siphons out of tank, tank dies, power comes on, pump pumps the tank full of water and continues pumping since the siphon isnt workin any more, blah blah blah, big problems, so yeah)

ok so you modified an aquaclear filter to act like a refugium?

I see that you made it capable of skimming the surface, but does it act like a skimmer as well?

Yes I did. Add a light, and it's a perfect 1 gallon refugium.

The surface skimmer was just an extra add on that came with the tank I aquired. It doesn' act like a skimmer, just skims the surface of the water. Pretty neat.

How much benefit does it add? I cant see being able to run m,ultiple water lvls in there, or do you have the baffle a slight bit above the bottom of the filter, so that water enters the baffeld part from the bottom and through the sand?

Mostly refugiums help culture pods and with the addition of Cheatomorpha sp. algae, it can be used for nutrient export via the macroalgae. A good way to reduce nitrates.

The water level will always be consistent. The baffle is short at the top and is not open on the bottom. There won't be a problem with water level, since the water level inside the AC isn't dependent on the water level of your tank.

I know that the wate lvls wont be differant, what I mean is that in most of hte sumps I have seen, the baffles are set at differant lvls, so that hte water lvl between the diff compartments of a sump/refug are differant.

Ohh! Sorry, I was having a hard time understanding your question. Well the AC is small, and we are just modding a filter, so not a lot of room for baffles and such. But if you want to try and make a varied set of babbles, by all means! It will probably slow down water flow a lot though, and I'm wondering how it would perform that way...

HTH

Not going to be able to really run different water levels. As suggested just used for macros, or current, and of course to stuff that darn heater to get a cleaner look. I have an Aquacler 110 to modify for my 10 gal nano reef in the making. I will stuff the heater and some extra live rock in it. Also the added water volume never hurts.

Back
Top Bottom