How Level does the tank have to be? Is 1/8" acceptable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott6480

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my venture into sw has been very challenging thus far. Ordered one nano cube 24gal online and it was broken in shipping. Second tank was set up for approximately a week when this happened.

P1010067.sized.jpg

So basically I figured out that being level is a very important aspect of setting up a tank.

Using a digital level my jbj stand reads 1/8" per foot out of level from left to right.

also it reads 1/8" out of level on one diagonal. while the other diagonal reads level.

I have a 3/8" rubber mat on top of the stand, is the 1/8" difference going to be corrected by the rubber mat or do i need to work on getting the tank more level than what it is?

wow, thats really bad luck, i would think that 1/8" should be fine, I can't even imagine how it would crack like your picture shows. maybe someone else has some other ideas

I have actually heard that JBJ nano cubes are prone to cracking. I have heard this from a very large wholesaler i deal with. They stopped carrying them because of this. That is really to bad that happened; i feel bad for you! :(

1/8 off on a small tank should not be enough to cause the tank to crack. Was the surface the tank was on perfectly flat?

I really think the tank was at fault.

I am lucky i got a new tank, I had to fight with the store for about an hour. I finally got fed up and stormed out and they called me an hour later and agreed to give me a new one.

This is strange. That is the 6th nano cube that i have seen crack because it wasnt level. They were all on a stand designed for the nano cube. And it seems to happen in the same place on all of them on the long bends of the front corners.

Back
Top Bottom