How many is too many and does it man anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bugs could be a parasite... They can be harmful to the fish... Did you introduce anything new to the tank? They could have crept in with any new additions... It would be good if you could get a picture for us to see... Try and get a cleaner fish in there to help with it before they latch on to any fish...

Craigj247 said:
The bugs could be a parasite... They can be harmful to the fish... Did you introduce anything new to the tank? They could have crept in with any new additions... It would be good if you could get a picture for us to see... Try and get a cleaner fish in there to help with it before they latch on to any fish...

Wonderful. Ok will do. I'll try and get a picture. And no I haven't added anything new in roughly 2 weeks.

What about the little stars? How many is too many? I know there harmless and my verts usually take care of them or my harlequin makes it a appetizer.

Last edited:
Found this from a live pod and zooplankton dealer and they look like this.

View attachment 86054

It kinda looks like a fresh batch of brine shrimp I would get on a Wednesday when my buddy gets them.

Last edited:
Yeah, u want as many copepods as possible. All shapes and sizes. Very beneficial to reef tanks. It's completely normal. I would be worried if I didn't have any

I even encourage the growth of mine by feeding them Phyto Feast. Copepods r the only thing my Psychedelic dragonet will eat

Yeah, alls well. I think most people get concerned when they notice them for the 1st time. Myself included. They eat diatoms, algae, etc. like miniature cuc's.

Crabs said:
Yeah, alls well. I think most people get concerned when they notice them for the 1st time. Myself included. They eat diatoms, algae, etc. like miniature cuc's.

Sounds cool!! I'm reading up on them now salt water always something going on lol. Awesome.

Ur telling me. It really is awesome, some of the things u will c. But bad things do come with live rock unfortunately. The most troublesome I've had we're crabs and flatworms. Only a few crabs r considered reef friendly. I've had teddybear and gorilla crabs hitch rides. They're cool when they're small, but grow quickly and tend to munch on some corals. Flatworms r more of a an aesthetic pest than damaging. They can cover ur tank at times and can b toxic to the tank if u dose them with chemicals. When they die they release toxins. SW is addicting but u have to b vigilant

Crabs said:
Ur telling me. It really is awesome, some of the things u will c. But bad things do come with live rock unfortunately. The most troublesome I've had we're crabs and flatworms. Only a few crabs r considered reef friendly. I've had teddybear and gorilla crabs hitch rides. They're cool when they're small, but grow quickly and tend to munch on some corals. Flatworms r more of a an aesthetic pest than damaging. They can cover ur tank at times and can b toxic to the tank if u dose them with chemicals. When they die they release toxins. SW is addicting but u have to b vigilant

I hear ya I'm battling majano? I think that's how you spell it. I got a few and one I could reach with the syringe came back!

That's funny. I didn't even know this was an anemone until u pointed it out. I have a few also. I battled Aptasia until I just said screw it. Now I leave em alone and they don't seem to bother anything. Everyone told me to get rid of them or they will take over the tank. I've found this not to b the case at all. I've got 3 or 4 and they're not multiplying. And thanks to u I now know I have Manjo. About 4 or 5 and they're not spreading either

Crabs said:
That's funny. I didn't even know this was an anemone until u pointed it out. I have a few also. I battled Aptasia until I just said screw it. Now I leave em alone and they don't seem to bother anything. Everyone told me to get rid of them or they will take over the tank. I've found this not to b the case at all. I've got 3 or 4 and they're not multiplying. And thanks to u I now know I have Manjo. About 4 or 5 and they're not spreading either

Yeah I gave up. They keep coming back. Unless I see a total overrun or an issue I'm don't breaking things down an spending more money on X or juice etc... I can't take this one rock out and it's so hard to get to.

Convict2161 said:
I know there harmless and my verts usually take care of them or my harlequin makes it a appetizer.

Do you own a harlequin shrimp...?

Back
Top Bottom