How much phosguard to use in my 5 gal pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Phosphates are at .25 and large water changes, scrubbing algae and vacuuming are not reducing my hair algae. So I'm wondering how much phosguard can I put into my filter system on my 5 gal pico. On the directions it says 1/3 cup for 50 gal, so would a spoonful work? I never used this before. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe for phosguard you're only supposed to leave it in place until it's fixed your problem. It's not like GFO. Ideally you run phosguard for 4 days and test your levels. If you still need to lower levels, run another 4 days.

It's also better to use less of at once until it's completely exhausted. Using more is not more effective with this particular product.

Since phosphate is a necessary nutrient for all living organisms I'd run it no longer than 8 day and 12 being the most unless my test kit said above .03 phosphate (and even then I wouldn't run it longer, I'd figure out how my phosphate levels are not decreasing and figure out what I'm doing to add phosphate or what is disturbing my sand bed)

Back
Top Bottom