Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How much phosguard to use in my 5 gal pico

Phosphates are at .25 and large water changes, scrubbing algae and vacuuming are not reducing my hair algae. So I'm wondering how much phosguard can I put into my filter system on my 5 gal pico. On the directions it says 1/3 cup for 50 gal, so would a spoonful work? I never used this before. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes. Go slow and watch parameters. This stuff can get used up quick and need replaced. Longest I've ever had it go is about 28 days.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool, sounds like a plan. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 AM   #4

I believe for phosguard you're only supposed to leave it in place until it's fixed your problem. It's not like GFO. Ideally you run phosguard for 4 days and test your levels. If you still need to lower levels, run another 4 days.

It's also better to use less of at once until it's completely exhausted. Using more is not more effective with this particular product.

Since phosphate is a necessary nutrient for all living organisms I'd run it no longer than 8 day and 12 being the most unless my test kit said above .03 phosphate (and even then I wouldn't run it longer, I'd figure out how my phosphate levels are not decreasing and figure out what I'm doing to add phosphate or what is disturbing my sand bed)

Tags
pic, pico

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com