How to dose supplements in nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fungus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to raise my pH from 7.8 and alk from 3.5 mEq/mL in my 10 gal using Seachem Marine Buffer. It was recommended that I should add 1/7 the manufacturer's dosage at 7X frequency to minimize spikes in water condition. Is this necessary in your experience? The recommended dosage is 1nc/day until pH levels off at 8.3 followed by weekly doses to maintain.

I also introduced phosban to reduce phos from 3.0 mg/L. Since then the water has become slightly cloudy and I'm wondering if the phosban is causing precipitation.

Some of the tank inhabitants are looking unhappy, so I want to correct it soon. Any help is appreciated.

Dosing is pretty dangerous in a nano and IMO shouldn't be done. Are u doing weekly water changes? Even if you ro/di unit is lowering your ph your salt mix should bring it back up. I think it's another issue...have you tested for nitrites, nitrates? High levels of waste will lower your ph. Really need all the info on your setup, stock, and updated test results.

I'm aware that supplementing a nano tank risks sudden changes in water conditions. The reason I want to do it here is that my pH is low. Even with regular PWC, it doesn't correct itself because a fresh prep of saltwater to SG=1.023 has pH 8.0 using Oceanic mix.
(
bSUmmx1bKvWaAys8qBYemQmQ0pbEclwlXyN6Wi4WbP8na2X4te463I0SCpfTgLR7meTnXmemhgiP0zuv4eBVAY-IMLp3DH-dm5o-XwGFqEX9sRL56vAon_FLd-x035sus1FOblp64TWWM-R23U-lcAvO_8DuAMPOorjihxQ9Rap8ejIMV9dAGw-sO13YFanQ37G5KYuPaj9ZDQqBsPpa_btUBqBAh0xDSqhwdevdlcti-uYh-XP2qRNgEXWpaP7-aLkzYMn0UmEhYhqWOG9rCSMqDeQsRzgSfkCQbQYt
)

Nitrates are 10 mg/L, phos 3.0 mg/L, pH 7.8 (without dosing), alk 3.5 mEq/mL, Ca 405-475 mg/L.

Stock in signature.

Call me dumb but isn't 1/7 w/a 7X frequency the same as one normal dose? Dividing one dose into 7 over a period of one day won't make much of a diff. The change is still going to be pretty sharp even if it's spread out over hours. I would do the dosage according to the instructions, ofcourse math it down to your size tank. LFS advice is not very wise IMO.

I use Oceanic and it will provide all the dosing necessary for a nano tank. You`ll be OK.

Fungus said:
I'm aware that supplementing a nano tank risks sudden changes in water conditions. The reason I want to do it here is that my pH is low. Even with regular PWC, it doesn't correct itself because a fresh prep of saltwater to SG=1.023 has pH 8.0 using Oceanic mix.
()

Nitrates are 10 mg/L, phos 3.0 mg/L, pH 7.8 (without dosing), alk 3.5 mEq/mL, Ca 405-475 mg/L.

Stock in signature.

Was thinking how much surface agitation do you have the more you have the higher the ph

I agree, I would not dose a nano tank. Weekly water changes will keep everything fine, a ph of 7.8 is completely normal and i would not worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom