How to jump start a nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlrm23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just received a 2 gallon tank from ups. I bought live sand and a chunk of live rock. I also got water from my 60 gallon to start it off and turned on my filter. Is there anything else I can do to help the cycling process? Also, how long would a tank like this take to cycle? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

ForumRunner_20120721_015206.jpg

Using the water from your other tank really isn't doing anything since BB doesn't colonize in the water mainly just the surfaces ( filters,substrate, and decor). The live sand more times then not is a gimmick. To speed up the cycles seed your tanks with filter media preferably from you established tank

I'm not exactly sure how to do that since I don't have a bio wheel on the big tank. And I don't really want the crushed coral from the big tank since I just want sand.....

Would putting pieces of live rock from my established tank help?

Vlrm23 said:
Would putting pieces of live rock from my established tank help?

From what I have heard the live rock would and do u use any filter floss in the established one? A piece of that put in the new filter would help. Again in a noob but done a lot of ready and this is what I have heard. Hopefully someone will back me up or tell me I'm wrong lol

Filter floss? I'm sorry the big tank is maintained by my fiancée. Haha. :p And I'd imagine that even a two gallon would have to cycle if I want anything to thrive..... right?

Vlrm23 said:
Filter floss? I'm sorry the big tank is maintained by my fiancée. Haha. :p And I'd imagine that even a two gallon would have to cycle if I want anything to thrive..... right?

Yes you just might not see the big spikes is what the other person meant I believe. Also whatever your big tank uses for filter media. Filter floss is the stuff that has a blue top and white bottom that kinda looks like a sponge.

Oh so, like the cartridges that went in the bio wheels? With the carbon in it? I think we may try to trade out our little foam piece with the piece on the intake from the uv sterilizer.

Vlrm23 said:
Oh so, like the cartridges that went in the bio wheels? With the carbon in it? I think we may try to trade out our little foam piece with the piece on the intake from the uv sterilizer.

Yes exactly. Anything that filtered your other tanks water. Cause it will have bb on it and it will help seed you new tank with it

Back
Top Bottom