How to keep Anemone alive without a chiller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What temp is it at. The key to temps is stability. If its jumping around then you`ll be in trouble. 82 or 83 all the time will be OK. Chiller is not reqired unless we are talking High temps.

I have a RBTA in my tank...before that I had a Green LTA...I have never had a chiller on my tank. The key as Melosu58 said is stability. My tank temp stays around 80.

The more important thing to think about when keeping an anemone is water quality. Most if not all of them will not tolerate poor water quality. I recommend having a refugium on your system and you will need good lighting. Anemones need good lighting and excellent water quality to survive.

good lighting and excellent water quality to survive.

what sort of lighting is recommended? i've heard expert recommending Arcadia lighting.

For water quality, what sort of parameters, you are looking at?

PH 8.4
NO2 0
NH 0
Salinity 1.020 - 1.021
KH 8 drops

Please advise. Water temperature is 80 Fahrenheit?

"1.023-1.025" that's kinda high for fish

img_874783_0_33ae7a380126c2c03a6f02523d787ad7.jpg

My tank has been kept at 1.025 since I started it. I have a very well estabilished reef tank. Corals and many fish. As innovator said natural sea water is 35ppt....

1.025 is where a tank should be kept. A FO tank can be kept slightly lower (1.018-1.020). Fish are slightly better off with the lower SG, but in the wild are generally on the reef at 35ppt (1.026).

And you might want to invest in a refractometer down the road sometime. You might be surprised at what your salinity levels actually are - you might be at 1.025 to start with!

Pertaining the salinity,

This is the salinity level when i first started the tank
img_874881_0_112b2839c7ab9a0a7a08147913b3e1f2.jpg

I noticed the fish are hiding inside the liverock and less active in the tank
img_874881_1_8ba31a63478ee43bea9d56df94f62558.jpg

Then i consult several local fish shop, they advised me to reduce to within 1.020 - 1.023

Once, i reduced the salinity, i see all the fish came out from the liverocks and enjoy the swim

img_874881_2_158e2b679c1962f1604bc2b36179570e.jpg

Hence, i keep that salinity. At this stage, i'm thinking of improving the KH to 12 drops.

You asked how to keep an anemone. Folks are telling you that your salinity should be higher to keep an anemone. You're obviously free to do whatever you want, but for a fish only tank, yes... specific gravity of 1.020 is just fine. But for anemones or corals, it really wants to be in the 1.025-1.026 range - in addition to a constant temperature. If you can't keep a constant temperature, then no anemone (or coral for that matter) is really going to be happy in the tank.

Your fish were probably hiding originally because that's what they do when they first get used to a tank. Either that, or because of the inaccuracy of the hydrometer you're using, the salinity was actually quite higher, maybe as high as 1.030+. Those swing-arm type hydrometers are prone to not be too accurate and you could very well be running saltier water than you think.

Any reason you want an alkalinity of 12 dkH? Your current level of 8 is totally acceptable.

(Edit: Forgot this was the nano section of the forum... How big of a tank is that? For anemones, not only do they need a stable tank that has stable water parameters and has preferably been up for 8-12 months, they need very clean water and very little nitrates. I'm counting 7 fish (including a tang) in what looks to be a fairly small tank. Nitrates could be tough to keep low without large weekly water changes.)

Last edited:
"BUY A REFRACTOMETER"

Well, jus a normal hydrometer can do the salinity check, i've been keeping it for sometime. Not plan invest so much in test kit.

For Anemones, if the salinity level is maintained at 1.025-1.026, i'm scared the fish won't be like it.

Hence, it's pretty hard to keep anemone & fish in nano tank.

Some people using twin cooling fans, and adding RO water every forthnight.

It's a big challenge & budget to maintain a nano tank, unless we invest in a good protein skimmer, and sump tank/canister or a chiller.

That tank is 1.5 ft 55+ litres

You have far far FAR too many fish in that tank. 55 liters is approximately 15 gallons. Not only does a tang not belong in a 15 gallon, but you should probably only keep two fish - at most - in that tank. You will never be able to keep your water parameters in a healthy range.

Please research more on the hobby you're getting in to, and please listen to the folks you're asking questions of. This forum is made up a folks with tanks that have been up for 10-20 years, and they know what they're talking about.

Rather than investing in equipment at this stage, I'd slow down and invest your time in research.

My salinity is a steady 1.025 sometimes 1.026 my fish are rather happy. Sometimes when I am trying to take a good photo. I think I see them smile.
Keeping a higher salinity in a nano tank can be challenging because evaporation will increase salinity. But that is why Nano tanks are for seasoned aquarist.

You have far far FAR too many fish in that tank. 55 liters is approximately 15 gallons. Not only does a tang not belong in a 15 gallon, but you should probably only keep two fish - at most - in that tank. You will never be able to keep your water parameters in a healthy range.

Well, i think all these marine fish belong to the ocean, that's the best we can do.

What we have here in order to achieve and sustain ideal water parameters in a nano tank, is a weekly change, and forthnight check on the water parameters with all these kits available. This also allowed to test on filter products, filter media, protein skimmer product available to work best for nano tank.

I agree that all of the animals that we keep should be in the ocean and not in our houses but that's the way it is. We strive to provide the best living conditions we can for our animals. We also have to make sacrifices and not always get what we really want until we can support it. There are fish that I would just love to have right now but I don't have the tank to support them, so I will wait until I have a larger tank.

This site is here to help better inform aquarist, by providing real time life experience with these animals, equipment and situations. We are not perfect and we don't always do everything right, however taking the advice given by people that have already been there is the way we learn to not make the same mistakes. I encourage you to read through your thread and take to heart some of the advice given here. All of us want to have the most amazing tank possible and we all want it right now but that just doesn't work in this hobby. It takes time and patients to get that amazing tank. It also takes research and listening to the free advice you get from others in the hobby. Nobody here is going to chastise you or call you out on what choices you make, we will offer options and our opinions. Take what you want from it and learn. Read through the article section on this site, the information there is great. There is a link to the articles in my signature, click and read for a little while. Many of the questions you may have are answered there.

We are here to help!

Just for fun this morning I tested my batch of saltwater I have 2 hydromoters and a refractometer
the hydromoters both read 1.028 My refractometer read 1.025
I tested RO/DI water with the refractometer and it read 0

this is a good article for water parameters Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com The article does state that keeping marine fish at a lower SG may be prefferable because the fish are less stressed which supports your theory. The fish store most likely does this because of the stress from the Sale from one tank to another.

In regards to an anemone I am not sure about all anemones but this one site states the anemone should be kept at a SG of 1.023-1.025 Condy Anemone - Condylactis gigantea

here is another good article about Specific Gravity there is some good info on how to use a hyrdromoter effectively you may find it very interesting its possible but not as simple as just putting water in and reading the level from what I understand Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

And I just wanted to add that an anemone requires consistency and an established tank, and most importantly strong lighting. My tank has been setup for about 9months I don't feel as if I am ready yet simply because I know I can just keep it alive but not confident that it will thrive in my tank since my lighting is not intense.

Last edited:
The article does state that keeping marine fish at a lower SG may be prefferable because the fish are less stressed which supports your theory

I've been maintaining the salinity at that level for few months, there are no problem with the fishes they came out actively compare to the high salinity level earlier.

The disadvantage of the nano tank is that, u are required to change water on weekly basis, else the nitrite will goes up.

I will be adding some new product soon, it is WEISS Bacter Boast, this is to increase the biological bacteria. Let's see whether this can help. My last resolution might be Eheim canister, Tetra canister, or Hydor canister. Well, anyone have try these canister, it should be able to keep the water clean so taht anemone can survive.

Back
Top Bottom