I need some advice! NanoCube or No?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I'm finally ready to take the dive into Saltwater. I've done weeks and weeks of research online, and I think I'm ready. I've read, just as with FW, that the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain.

I was checking out the 12 gal nano-cube from JBJ. This looks ideal for me, but I have heard MANY bad things about it not being adequate in filtration and lighting to sucessfully keep many things. My friend is giving me a 29 gallon tank and stand also, here soon.

I want to start small and easy. A little LR and LS, some coral and an anenome or two, and a percula clown, or gobies (I've read that these both stay small, and are ideal for nanoreefs). Just to get my foot in the door, ya know.

so, I guess my question is:

Does anybody have a nano-cube? Is it ideal for beginners like myself? I don't want anything extravagant yet, like I said, I just want some experience, but I don't wanna kill anything either.

Or, should I take the 29 gallon and set it up saltwater instead of freshwater like I am planning on doing? Would this truly be easier, even though I have NO experience whatsoever?

I will be leaving home in the next year and a half or so as well to continue on in college. So, it will have to be easy to maintain for family too.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I just want some actual opinions before I make my next move :wink:

I want to start small and easy
I dont think it works that way, I think smaller is harder plus for a 12 gallon im guessing you could keep maybe 2 fish max. I would say start with the 29 gallon first

I think smaller is harder plus for a 12 gallon im guessing you could keep maybe 2 fish max.

Fish isn't a main concern of mine right now. I'm more looking for the reef part of the setup. Two fish is fine with me.

Maintnence wise though, wouldn't it be easier (for me, being a beginner in SW) to maintain everything with a smaller size? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks divemasterjim, for your reply!

Maintnence wise though, wouldn't it be easier (for me, being a beginner in SW) to maintain everything with a smaller size? Or am I mistaken?

Its harder to maintain a smaller tank than a larger one.

Think about it for a minute. You have a smaller water volume in a 10 gallon than in a 100 gallon tank. Evaporation will take more of a toll on a 10 than a 100 in terms of affecting salinity. If one gallon a day evaporates from both tanks, you have increased the salinity in both, however, a one gallon loss from a 100 gallon tank isn't a big deal. Its only 1 percent. But in a 10 gallon tank that is 10% of the water gone!

Also there are more things consider than salinity. Ca, Alk, pH, Mg, temperature, etc... all have to be taken into consideration. Again, with a smaller water volume, all the parameters will swing around more in the 10 gallon than they would in a 100 gallon tank.

Then you have to think about livestock. Only a handful of fish can comfortable live in a 12 gallon tank when you fill it with LR and coral. Some of these fish get along with others. Some don't. Also, you must also be careful about coral and invert choices choices. You wouldn't want to put in a huge piece of torch coral or a monster BTA in a small tank.

You are better off buying this biggest tank you can afford. This will "get your hands wet" so to speak. This is not to say you can't start small, but you will have an uphill battle to say the least, especially if you are just starting out.

I am not trying to scare you away from the hobby by any means. If all you can afford is a 12 gallon tank, then that is how it goes. I just want you to be aware that it is not easier to do what you are wanting to do. But that is where Aquarium Advice comes in if you do have problems.

:)

Thanks alot Biggen!

My friend offered to give me a 29 gallon tank and stand. It is made for freshwater, but I can easily convert that into salt right? With the right lighting and filtration and such?

I might go this way. 29 Gallons isn't THAT big, and might be easier. And since it will be free...I might go that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But once I get the tank cycled, LS and LR put in, etc. With the help of some 10-15 minute daily maitnence, the tank will basically take care of itself won't it? Besides the fact of water changes and all, I know that much. But, a Saltwater cycle is the same as a freshwater cycle, right?

Sorry for so many questions LOL. I'm just anxious to get the show on the road, and do things the right way! :lol:

If the extra work required to maintain doesnt scare you, then give it a shot! Ive seen reefs with coral, anemone, clownfish, you name it in tanks as small as 7 gallons. One lfs has some mushrooms and pollyps and a small fish in about a half gallon bowl with a tiny hang on back filter and some sand and small piece of lr. She says its been there for more than a year.
Im going to try an 18 gallon, tall tank myself and go as far as making my own rock. I still plan on seeding with lr and ls, but Im looking for a challenge.

but I can easily convert that into salt right? With the right lighting and filtration and such?

Sure. A tank is a tank is a tank.

But once I get the tank cycled, LS and LR put in, etc. With the help of some 10-15 minute daily maitnence, the tank will basically take care of itself won't it? Besides the fact of water changes and all, I know that much.

Yes. Basically the tank will take care of itself. Other than the days I do a water change or fill my auto topoff Kalk container, I only spend about 15 minutes on the tank. This typically covers feeding and glass cleaning both inside and out.

But, a Saltwater cycle is the same as a freshwater cycle, right?

The bacteria responsible for nitrification in SW are different than the ones in FW. The easiest way to cycle a SW (if using LR) is to purchase uncured LR in the LFS or buy it online and cure it in the tank. If you are wanting to use a filter instead of LR, than the "dead shrimp method" is the best.

Sorry for so many questions LOL. I'm just anxious to get the show on the road, and do things the right way!

No problem. That is what we are here for. I would also recommend that you go to your local bookstore and buy some books on SW aquariums. Probably one of the best books you could own in this hobby is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.
You can buy it off Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...ic-20?creative=125581&camp=2321&link_code=as1

Its a little expensive at $27 plus shipping. But the information gained is easily worth 10x the price.

Thanks youronlysin, and again Biggen.

Freshwater is my thing, LOL, but I've been simply amazed at the coolness of all the sw tanks that I have been seeing lately. I think I have some deciding to do. To go with the nano-cube, and thus 12 gallons...or the 29 gallon, and just make it sw.

Does anybody know about the equipment on the nano-cube? A lot of the bad things I have heard about it is that is isn't adequate in lighting and filtration to house many types of coral and anenomes. It comes with 24 watt 50/50 compact flourescent lighting and a powerhead that pushes out 108 gph, a 9 times turnover...which seems like plenty to me.

Also, about the cycle...I have read that buying un-cured LR isn't always such a good idea because of the hitch hikers that can come along with it(bristleworm, mantis shrimp, etc.). Is that always the case? And how long would it take to complete a cycle if I went uncured? How about cured? I know for FW you can buy Biospira to sorta instantly cycle a tank...anything like that for SW?

Thanks again for all your help!

Does anybody know about the equipment on the nano-cube? A lot of the bad things I have heard about it is that is isn't adequate in lighting and filtration to house many types of coral and anenomes. It comes with 24 watt 50/50 compact flourescent lighting and a powerhead that pushes out 108 gph, a 9 times turnover...which seems like plenty to me.

The lighting is so-so. It is hardly enough for coralline algae. There are many retro fits on the internet, you would just have to research it a bit and see what is out there that would fit it. I think there may even be a specific one for the JBJ cube.

As for flow rate, that could be increased as well. You could purchase a small (150 GPH) HOB filter and run it on the back of the aquarium with no media in yet. Better yet, place carbon in place where you would normally place the filter floss.

Also, about the cycle...I have read that buying un-cured LR isn't always such a good idea because of the hitch hikers that can come along with it(bristleworm, mantis shrimp, etc.). Is that always the case?

You can have undesirables in cured LR just as easily as in uncured LR. But this is easily remedied with either rock by simply doing a hypo or hyper (some people do it either way) salinity dip. Others even use carbonated water to dip the rock in. Any creature will come flying out of the rock and then you can pick and choose what you want.

And how long would it take to complete a cycle if I went uncured?

3-4 weeks.

How about cured?

No cycle time since the rock is already "cured" or "cycled". The only place you can get "cured" LR is from the fish store. Anything you buy online will have to be cured or re-cured once you get it due to any dieoff that occurred during shipping.

know for FW you can buy Biospira to sorta instantly cycle a tank...anything like that for SW?

Actually Marineland makes a SW version of the Bio-Spira. The reviews are mixed on it and you can't find it everywhere you can get the FW version. IMO, you would be better off saving your money and let nature take its course naturally.

If I were to set up a new tank and I put cured LR in, I wouldn't have to cycle my tank at all?

it will probably still cycle...correct me if im wrong...and an efficient amount of nothing but live rock is very expensive depending onthe size ofyour tank

In terms of a nano-cube, my girlfriend has one and it is doing great (she's had it for about 4 months now. She has some bright green hammer coral that is flourishing, a rose anenome, polyps, hairy mushrooms, flowerpot coral, sun coral, and a maroon clown and all are doing great. She has quite a bit of liverock though, it pretty much fills the tank. I would say that is your biggest expense for either, and is the downside for the 29 gal. plus for the 29 gal you have to buy lighting, skimmer, filter, powerheads, etc. So if expense isn't an issue get the 29 gal. Also, if you get the nano, take out the biomedia, and leave the carbon in there ( i think it comes with ). IMO, you're only real decision is how much money you want to spend (the 29 gal will cost you quite a bit more, and to be honest the tank itself is the cheapeast part). Goodluck with whichever you choose!

I think the college issue is important too.. if you're going to leave the aquarium behind for family to maintain then you need to consider what kind of "expertise" they are capable of.

Remember when things go wrong, and they will :lol: , a bigger tank will be a lot more forgiving.

Thanks alot for your help everyone, I really do appreciate it. I think now, time and money wise...I will be better off with the 12 gallon. I'm prepared to spend the time and energy to upkeep it, but after some discussion with mom and dad...and saving for my continuing education, I think I'll be better with the smaller tank. I will be ordering online tonight, Yay!!!

Can anyone reccomend any place good to get nice liverock? And little amounts at that. I'm guessing I need about 10-15 pounds of liverock for the 12 gallon tank, right? Everyplace I have seen online doesn't have small pieces for sale..or maybe I'm just missing them. Is there a certain kind that is better than another? I've read that Pacific is better than Atlantic liverock. Ok, I think that is all my questions for now!

Don't worry though, you haven't heard the last from me! I'll be around asking questions about everything I possibly can! :wink:

i would order from liverock.com i think everyone here will recommend them to u....and they will work with u on your order and probably give u close to and size and shape u want...plus from what i hear lots of stuff come on the rock (im ordering mine after my 29gal gets done cycling)

i would order from liverock.com

I have heard MANY good things about this place. They definitley seem the way to go..

My concern is that I have just...through the grapevine..heard that pacific liverock is better than Atlantic liverock. Is there any truth to this, or just someones unworthy opinion? :)

I want a nice piece, a little branchy... I only know of two places around me that carry liverock..so I'm not sure about what theirs are like, perhaps I should go this way...

Thanks again!

I would go check out your LFS.. it's probably not going to be cost effective ordering such a small amount online.

I would go check out your LFS.. it's probably not going to be cost effective ordering such a small amount online.

This is what I was thinking too Atari. But, gees...it's so expensive at my lfs....one reason why I don't go there very often. I just have some looking to do, lol. :fadein:

I'm still open for opinions as to which kind is the best. You all have any advice or opinions. Also, what is the actual likelihood that I'm gonna get something on/in my rock that I don't want? Is it that common? Or...it could just happen?

Thanks

I would go with liverocks.com first. If for some reason that doesn't work out, then Tamba Bay Saltwater would be my next choice.

Back
Top Bottom