I Want A Nano So Bad I Can Taste It< But Clueless.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneoffcustom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi,

i am definatly enjoying this forum. i want a nano so bad but have no clue of what it takes. by what it takes i mean what to buy to get started. i deffinatly want to have coral and maybe 1 fish. i would love to do a 5 gallon micro reef. how much am i looking at spending tank and all, and what all do i need? is there a kit i can buy other than a bio-cube or nano cube? please tell me.

I don't know that going smaller is necessarily going to save you money in the long run. Do you want a 5 gallon nano because of $ or space? I haven't seen a nano system smaller than 12 gallon myself but I'm sure you could build one. A self contained system is an easy way to start. IMO the thing to do is look at where you plan to keep your tank, decide how much you can spend realistically (SW is more expensive than fresh) and how much time and patience you are willing to dedicate to the hobby.

We have 2 nano tanks in our family. We'll be happy to answer your questions. I love my 24 gallon tank!

I got an 24gallon aquapod and spent around $400 on it already and theres no corals or fish its still cycling:eek2:

But its different for everyone;)

yeah i actually wnet with a 29 gallon tank. i bought the salt for 55 gallons, a hydrometer, and 30lbs of crushed aragonite for 160. then i bought a stand for 136, and got 11 pounds live rock for 35. since then i have bought 14 more pounds of beautiful live rock and 4 damsels to cycle my tank for me. i also scored a brand nex t5 high output ballast for 12.50 and completed it with coral life 18000 k bulbs. so i got my whole lighting system for 56 dollars crazy i know. all together i am upwards of 400 withe 25lbs live rock and 4 damsels and complete lighting good enough for anything i want. i am also expecting my hydro jet which was 40 with shipping. my next purchase will be an overflow hang on back sump for 79$. wow so much cost up front, why am i addicted again? i figure for about 700 hundred i will be good on setup, and over 1500 done with tank coral and fish.

Please return the damsels and do a fishless cycle using a fresh raw shrimp. The article How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish is on the forum.

You mihgt want to re-think the crushed aragonite and go with sand instead. CC (Crushed Coral) traps waste and uneaten food and must be meticulously cleaned if you want to add any corals down the road.

You really need to SLOW DOWN if you want to end up with a succesful tank.

You should really cycle the tank without fish. I use raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp for the ammonia source (you can also just use food). It's a lot cheaper and more humane, not to mention trying to get those damsels out of a fully cycled tank, full of LR. You may want to take them back and consider a different LFS if they are the ones that recommended using the fish to cycle the tank.

hey there! i have a 29 gal, also. i would def recommend more live rock (adding a refugium will accomidate this and help with any nitrate issues you may come across). getting started is the hard part and as long as you take advise from ppl that arent making money, youll have a beautiful tank in no time!! ive posted a pic of mine, so you can see what a 29 gal can become!! like someone else said, sand instead of the cc will help u out alot, as will a decent protien skimmer! good luck and have fun!

Attachments

• P1050494.jpg
    P1050494.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom