I want to start a nano tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
But I really dont know much about them. Where are some good resources that I could read up on? I basicaly need to start at the beginning. What equipment do I need? I am looking to keep this simple.

How much do you know about general saltwater topics? I would start in the articles section here and start with just the basic chemistry. Its pretty similar to FW, but there are just several more variables to account for. Do you have a tank you want to use? or are you looking at buying?

Like I said, I would start with our articles. What do you want to do with the tank? You'll be looking at two or three small fish without getting into any large equipment. Basic equipment though, a heater, light fixture and some sort of filtration/water pump is really the base line. You'll also need 1+ lbs/g of a live or base rock that you can cycle yourself.
I would go with a shallower tank if you are interested in coral, otherwise the 20 would be better. The biggest struggle of a nano tank, is the smaller water volume, the more your levels will swing with an increased bio-load and environmental factors (heat, evaporation, etc) The extra 5 gallons will make a difference in a FOWLR tank.

How about You use the 10g for the DT and a 20g Sump. Look up guides on DiY-ing a rimless 10g from a standard 10g. It'll look great. (It's what I plan on doing when I get enough money). I'd start off with a fowlr and then upgrade to reef ready personally.

Most wouldn't agree with me, but I started with a 20 high and thought it was a pretty good way to enter the salty side. Extra attention is needed, but that fact also helped me learn a lot. If you're dedicated to it (and I know you would be), it's not nearly as difficult as often portrayed.

Come on over to the dark side Jason, the water's fine! :)

I am going to go with the 20 tall. I dont know if I am going to go with a FOWLR or just FO. I was shopping with the wife yesterday and I was looking at the live rock. She saw the price and said "no". All that means is that I have to sneak it into the house lol.

I dont want something overly elaborate. I want 2 fish at the most, either false percula or some type of damsel. I love the look of corals in a tank, but thats just alittle advanced at the moment. Baby steps.

You don't think she'll notice rock appeared in the tank? lol

Be patient with the tank maturing and you'll be fine.

She would notice, but most things she says 'no' to I buy anyway. Once it is in the tank she usually come to like it.

check craigslist for rock and stuff. There are always people around here breaking down tanks.

if you want you can buy baserock and live sand. base rock is cheaper, or shop around like the others said, i got mine for a dollar cheaper/lb at another fish store near me, still cost me $60 though lol

Back
Top Bottom