im not sure but can a 6 or 3 line wrass go in my 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
they people at petland said they were pretty hardy, and it was a cool fish. i have a 10 gallon lying around and i was wondering if i could like.. put it in there with some bioballs or something? since i havent done saltwater yet, i want to see how it goes.

oh and i forgot is there any options if the wrasse doesnt work? lol.

do you need anything extra for live rock?

kk, looks like ill have to get all the hydrometers etc. what gravity would be the best?

and how'll chromis do? should i feed it krill and stuff?

krap101,
Before you start investing lots of money in equipment and fish, you should decide if saltwater is really what you want to do, and are able to do, at this time. You should not get into saltwater on impulse -- just because you have a 10 gallon tank lying around.

Also, a 10 gallon tank is a difficult size to begin with because water parameters can be hard to keep stable in a small tank like that. I have also read on here that finding a good skimmer for this size tank can be hard. You could only put one small fish in this tank. I think two clownfish would be on the verge of overstocking.

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...r=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_ur_2_1/102-5922675-4784952

You can buy a used paperback cheaply. I bought this book and decided that I'm not ready to do saltwater at this time, but it was fun to read the book and learn about saltwater tanks, even though I'm not setting one up now.

I would read this book, and do as much research into SW as you can before deciding. If you don't set up a tank now, maybe you will be able to in a few years. There's no hurry!

im not really into it yet, im just thinking about it. and plus id need to get ro water every week etc. probally get a new filter.

I would agree with An t-iasg, some study would be advised before diving into saltwater. Also agree that a 10 gallon is not a great starter tank for SW. Your options are pretty limited and things can go bad pretty quickly.
Besides a Wrasse is a very active fish and really needs more swimming room than a 10 gallon tank could offer.
When you are ready to really get going, I would consult a store that specializes in SW fish. It is pretty well know that amongst the salt crowd that Petco is not the best place for SW advise.
Good luck and take some time to read some posts in the "getting started" forum. Much good info there. :)

well.. my petco isnt very good. petland is more knowledgable and their staff know some stuff. all petlands are privately owned so you cant really compare 2.

just because its privately owned doesn't mean they are 100% accurate in everything they tell you. granted, they could be a very good, reputable place. my point is simply that it always boils down to the individual employee, not the store. chain stores simply tend to have a greater percentage of under educated employees (fish education that is).

I will also agree that 10gal would not be a good size to start with. You'd be looking at 1 fish, and maybe a shrimp. water parameters will be difficult to keep stable at first until you really 'learn' the tank's habits and quirks.

when anyone mentions getting into SW, I want to make sure they understand that its a little more expensive than FW, or possibly a lot more expensive if you start going for reef setups. I also suggest no less than a 29gallon tank as minimum for someone new to salt, although many good SW books recommend 55gal for newbies...I simply find this to be too costly and large for some of our younger members.

if you haven't already, pick up Michael Paletta's 'The New Marine Aquarium'. its a great starter book. if after reading it you're still looking to start on SW, then purchase Robert Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" which will give you more detailed setup info (mainly more options than the first book), plus good stocking guides for fish and corals.
Then you'll be ready to purchase equipment and start the cycle.

all petlands are privately owned so you cant really compare 2.
Sure I can, I'm talking about an aquarium specialty store. Generally (there are always exceptions) they are much better resources than the "everything" stores.
Notice the rest of my statement........
When you are ready to really get going, I would consult a store that specializes in SW fish

and did they tell you to be sure to have a secure lid as all wrasses are jumpers. They are also rock pickers and would be unhappy without a bit of rock. I was not sure what you meant about tossing bioballs in there....bioballs do not go into the main tank. you also need some kind of circulation, heat and quite a bit more in the basics before you can think of putting a fish in the tank. Another thing to note is if you will be using bioballs and they are brand new..expect a much longer cycling time.

Back
Top Bottom