Initial cycle questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkroc701

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had someone send me a link in another Thread telling me a site to check out for nano tanks and stuff and while reading through some of the beginner stuff I read you should not do a water change until after the ammonia and nitrites equal 0. It also said to do the lights on and off in 12 hr cycles. So here is what I have going on.

I have had my tank up and running for 10 days, I have not turned my light off since it has been set up. I have added water roughly every 3 to 4 days due to evaporation. I have had a Glass Anemone infestation (ok maybe 3 or 4) that i have seemed to have gotten rid of and since they have been gone I have gotten what looks like blades of grass growing off one of my rocks now. I am about to add some more water (due to evaporation again) and test the salinity. After a few hrs of that cycling I am looking to start doing the testing of the ammonia (I know it is a little soon but since I have had growth I figured it wouldn't hurt). Ok so I ramble alot but here is the question I have, after the Ammonia and nitrites are 0 I do a water change 10 - 20% at what point is it safe to add life (i.e cleaning crew, and/or coral)?

Again I have a 5 gallong tank and looking to add a sump filter system so I have more water circulating so to help not kill off everything from any spikes after adding.

Also I am curious as to what the green blade of grass thing is growing in my tank, any ideas???

Ok well first, there's no need for light's while cycling. They don't do anything.
The blade of grass is probably a macro algae but without a picture no one can help further than that.
Are you topping up with fresh or salt water? If your topping up with salt water stop, change 30% with fresh water to get it down to a good salinity then top up with fresh water from then on, because when the water evaporates, the salt doesn't = less water, more salt, higher salinity. :)
Once the Ammonia and Nitrite is 0 and Nitrates are below 20-15 then add a small CUC. Then you can get a small fish. You can only get one fish max for your tank size. Look into Gobies.
Hope that helped.

Huge help but as I am still new to all this a few questions on terms you used. But first I am topping off with fresh water which is why I alway check salinity after doing so. I want to make sure I do not need to add salt even though I know the salt is still there. You said I can add CUC what is that? and I will have to look up a Gobie as it has been suggested already due to tank size. What about shrimp and snails? I will also try and get a picture of the grass and post them later. Thanks again for your help.

I just looked up CUC on another website Sorry I'm at work and it's late didn't even occur to me. So what mix would you suggest for my cuc as I'd like to have a shrimp or 2. Been told Sexy Shrimp due to tank size, peppermint shrimp since I had Glass Anemones, but I am partial to Pacific Cleaner Shrimp. Suggestions???

Also what do you think of starfish? The Firefish and Yellowhead Jawfish are suggested for 10 or larger would they be ok in a 5??

Ok, no Firefish or Jawfish, they are too big.
Get whatever shrimp you want, just don't get more than two IMO and don't get a Coral Banded Shrimp, as they tear other shrimp to pieces.
You can add your CUC as soon as your ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and your nitrate is below 20.
No Starfish because they are very sensative to water flucations and this happens a lot in new tanks and it's worse in small tanks. (Smaller water volume = more effect when something happens).
Look at small gobies like Clown Gobies.

Ok I looked at Yellow and Red Clown Gobies, recommended for 1 gallon would it be safe to add 2 to a 5 gallon reef with low set rocks? I can't seem to add in a picture of my tank right now or I would. As always thanks for the help.

Are you sure about a 1 gallon tank... I believe it's recommended for a 10 gallon tank.

Yes, that seems to be the case. I would still only recommend getting only one for you "5g" tank. After you add your LR and sand you won't have much swimming space for anything else. So one gobie and possibly one pistol shrimp.

+1?? I looked up the clowns on other web sites and they said 10+ gallons so I am guessing that site was wrong as I have not found any other site that said 1+. As for my live rock and live sand it is all in the tank and the live rock is mainly lining the bottom over the sand. I have a picture loaded of the tank on here and thought it would show when doing a post, but I think I loaded it wrong. I am also looking at building the larger tank and when it is to the point of adding life to if I was going to transfer anything and everything from this tank to it and maybe using this 5 gallon as a frag tank. My main consern is setting this tank up first. I understand the conserns opinions and info everyone is giving and just so you all know I am willing to do the work and take the time to make this work. I will also try to post a better picture of my tank as I am looking to rearange my rocks again.

I didn't know that about the rocks so I am looking to rearange my rocks again so I will push them down into the sand when I move them. I have decided not to add any fish to my tank. I will however add a couple snails and a shrimp as well as coral until I can get my larger tank built. I will be posting a picture of my tank (now) as well as a picture of this thing growing in my tank. Hopefully someone will be able to id it.

yep.. I put my rocks in before my sand... was a pain.. but then I was sure no fish or invert would be squished by falling rocks.

Back
Top Bottom