Intrigued by SW Nano, have a few questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnysgal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy!

So, I didn't know you could do a Nano SW until I saw this section. I did some basic looking into them, and checked out some of the posted nano tank pics. Gotta say, I love SW's varieties. You can have a gorgeous tank without any major centerpiece fish, and just have the rock formations and reefs be the centerpiece. I don't like the money that it takes. :ermm:

We're living off of whatever money we can get for college. Grants, loans, etc.. so money is really tight. However, come our tax return, we should be getting some extra money. We were considering upgrading the tanks we have and possibly letting me start one of my own. Seeing the SW Nano gives me hope that I might could do a nano until we're graduated and established. My dream is a fairly good sized SW tank (100+ gallons.) but there's no way we can do that yet. So I'm thinking a Nano might cure my SW bug for now, but I have a few questions.

For around a 10 gal coral/reef tank, starting with nothing, what's a fair price range to expect for everything. Kits rarely come with all the "Oh crap, I need that and it didn't come with it" stuff, and don't count the cost of fish etc. I don't need exact just an estimated range 100-150, etc.

Would you, having been there and done that, recommend a kit, or building a nano from scratch?

And my biggest concern, as I stated, is the fact that we're in college. The first chunk is almost done, and so a move is in our future... and then one or two more within the next few years. Do they handle the stress of being moved okay?
If so, are there recommended SW Nano tank moving procedures?

Thanks for any advice or opinions you can give me!

Was this message too long winded? I was just hoping to gather some basic information... so maybe I'll summarize it, and hope someone can answer the summary:

If I were to do a nano (10-15 gallons) would a kit be recommended or is it better to just build one piece by piece?
Anyone know if they handle moves okay?
Should I expect a large financial investment or (for SW) a reasonable one? ($200ish)

Sorry if this counts as a bump, or is obnoxious, I just know there are experienced people on here, and would like to learn some basics before I invest hours researching something that might not even be a realistic thing for me to do.

If you're really tight on money, you should get a biocube 14g. It's an all in one system that is $250 new. All you need is sand and rock and your good to go. I have one and it's been good.

I haven't moved something that small but I have moved larger systems a 175g bowfront with DSB ( twice) and a 250g with DSB ( I think that's the right size) and new 375g ( empty) all where done with a 3 man crew. When you move it keep every thing wet or under water to minimize the chance of a mini cycle. Watch how much sand you put into a pail as they get very heavy fast. Just test often for a while after the move. If possible put a air stone in with the fish. I haven't lost anything in a move yet.

I agree with the above. A 14gal is small and all in one easy to move and easy to maintain. The best thing for your walet and tank is to take it slow. Let it cycle completly and just stock slowly you should have no problems. Cant wait to see some of your updates and threds with some popcorn

I would also recommend a biocube or nano cube setup. I run a 29g cube and it came with almost everything you would need. I had to buy a heater and a powerhead and thats it. :) And of course the base rock and live rock and sand. But it's pretty much plug and play with a cube. Even comes with lights that can support alot of corals.

I just ordered my 29g biocube hqi. Should be here late next week. I don't know if there will be any heat issues yet hope not. This will be my second tank but my first nano. So exited

A freind of mine has the reguler bio cube with t 5s and his tank sits at 79 to 80. Not to shure about the hqi but I would think there might be a heat issue. maby some fans might come in handy

Back
Top Bottom