Is protien skimmer really necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have done alot if research on saltwater tank and i feel like the protein skimmer is necessary ...
Is it?

Also i have read that invertebrates like the sea anemone , need calcium reactors...
I just dont know if in going to need one even im not going to have those anemone or any of that stuff...

Do shrimps need calcium reactors?

My tank is a 29 gallon tank... I was wanting to turn my 55 gallon into a saltwater tank but thats going to be way to expensive..

Gordo124 said:
I have done alot if research on saltwater tank and i feel like the protein skimmer is necessary ...
Is it?

Also i have read that invertebrates like the sea anemone , need calcium reactors...
I just dont know if in going to need one even im not going to have those anemone or any of that stuff...

Do shrimps need calcium reactors?

How big is your tank? For most nanoreefs its a luxury with lack of a better word. You dont really NEED it. But if you have a small tank you can buy mini one for a decent price.. If you have the cash laying around; i say go for it

I have the bio cube protein skimmer and it works amazingly! I dump it out every 3 days or so and it's always a dark brown skimate. You can get one for $35-$50. IMO its a must have it helps keep your water cleaner and with a nano tank your water condition is very easily thrown off if your not careful.

You do not need a calcium reactor for nems.

Protein skimmers are optional on smaller nanos as long as regular and thorough waterchanges/siphoning is done. It would help tho if you want to spend the money.

I would recommend one, especially if you plan on getting some mushrooms, they won't do good if their are bad organics in your water...like everyone else has said its not needed but it will help clean up your tank and keep your water clearer..an I too have the BioCube protein skimmer and they have them for about 40 dollars, I think it is well worth the money

armyman16 said:
I would recommend one, especially if you plan on getting some mushrooms, they won't do good if their are bad organics in your water...like everyone else has said its not needed but it will help clean up your tank and keep your water clearer..an I too have the BioCube protein skimmer and they have them for about 40 dollars, I think it is well worth the money

How do those work exactly? Do they mount on the side or do they go in the overflow? Can someone show me a picture???

Here is a picture of someone's nano protein skimmer in chamber 2
img_1979965_0_2d1078b6468f9d1e40c2257ea889e6f3.jpg

My nano came with a bunch of
Bioballs in chamber 3, Dont feel like i really need those, I could put it in there if i were to get one right?

Jacobsal91 said:
How do those work exactly? Do they mount on the side or do they go in the overflow? Can someone show me a picture???

Haha yeah it'd be nice if I had a BioCube and could put it in the overflow but I just has a standard tank so it's in between my HOB filters, it kinda stands out but not too bad, I plan to get the whole rock in front of it, covered in green star polyps

Back
Top Bottom