is there a way to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredenj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a way to have a basic 5.5 gallon saltwater tank that is low maintenance and saltwater? Doesn't even have to be a "reef."

Maintaining correct temp and salinity is the most difficult thing about nano tanks

Yep a tank that size will require daily top off to prevent salinity swings. If you've never had a sw tank, I'd definitely do bigger.

I have a 5 gallon tank with a sea horse a algae blenny and 2 clownfish so you can keep fish in smaller tanks though they say you can't. My fish are perfectly healthy and happy in the small tank.

I have a 5 gallon tank with a sea horse a algae blenny and 2 clownfish so you can keep fish in smaller tanks though they say you can't. My fish are perfectly healthy and happy in the small tank.

Please tell me you are trolling. That is awful to have that many fish in that small of a tank.

Well I would go research all 4 of those fish and see that none are suitable for a 5 gallon tank. Just because the pet store had them in there doesn't make it right. I would rehome all of them. Success with fish is measured in years not months. Giving advice like fish can go in to small of tanks is not the way we should be going about this hobby.

I think that's terrible, how long have you had all those fish in that tank? Poor fishes :( not very good advice for someone new to saltwater - check out live aquaria for fish compatibility and recommended tank sizes, you will find there are none suited for a 5g let alone multiple fish. They make great little pico reefs tho - and stock some sexy shrimp ;)

A sea horse? 2 clowns?? Could you post a pic of this?

Is there a way to have a basic 5.5 gallon saltwater tank that is low maintenance and saltwater? Doesn't even have to be a "reef."

Anyways, back on topic.

A JBJ auto top off will make a 5.5g tank soooo much easier to maintain. It's certainly possible to make a tank out of something that small. I found on another forum a person that has a 1g pico reef going for 8 years now.

Here it is:
attachment.php

You can certainly do it, it's just going to take some effort on your part.

There's a lot of stuff in there. I'd either take a bunch out or learn a LOT very quickly. I can see a scallop and an anemone, neither of which are low maintenance.

those have to be insanely small clowns. if thats truely a 5g tank. and mebbid, it doesnt seem as though theres alot of free swimming space in that 1g pico lol

those have to be insanely small clowns. if thats truely a 5g tank. and mebbid, it doesnt seem as though theres alot of free swimming space in that 1g pico lol

His stocking consists of copepods so there's plenty of space! :)

Haven't logged on here in a while idk if this is still an active post, but here we go. I've reduced everything to the tank to just the two clownfish. By the way anyone saying the tank isn't a 5, why would I lie about the capacity of the tank and yes the clown fish are insanely small hence why I decided to keep them as the only animals in the tank.

5 gal nano, 14 gal biocube.

If that's a 5g those clown fish must be smaller than dime size.. Like very young baby clowns. They don't sell them that small.
Sure it's not a 10 or 15? I don't think you're lying but it could just have unusual dimensions and the store accidentally told you wrong. What are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's the size of my QT and it's got my one clown in there now an he seems ok. But if I put rock an sand in there it'd be a bit cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom