Isopod???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this attatched to my purple firefish in my nano. Is this the dreaded isopod?? If so, why are they bad and what can I do t get rid f them? If not, what is it? Thanks! Lando

I hate to say it but it looks like you have Cirolanid Isopods. Give me a few minutes and I can give you a link to a possible treatment.

Here is a link to the "CURE" for Red Acro Bugs. It may work with Cirolanid Isopods as well.
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

I found them in my tank a few weeks after getting my live rock in. Fortunately I hadn't started stocking the tank with fish yet. The way that I dealt with them was to to night diving with a flashlight after lights out. I used a turkey baster to suck them out when ever I found one. Most of them were less than a quarter of an inch long and were easy to get when they were on the glass. I eventually pulled one out that was close to 1/2 inch long. I think that it may have been the mother of all the little ones. It took a few months, but I eventually ceased to find anymore. The only other non destructive method of getting rid of them that I have heard of is leaving the tank fallow for 6 to 8 months to let the population die off from starvation.

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the help and the info...Lando

Yes, interceptor is a good treatment. I know a few people that have red acro bugs, and interceptor isnt that easy to find. Your best bet would look for other reefers that have interceptor.

You can get it from your vet. That is where I usually get it for my dog. It is sold by prescription only. Explain the problem to them and they might sell you some.

Thanks all. I may just have to use the flashlight method to get rid of these. I have only ever seen one, but I am sure there are more. I do not like the idea of a "sacraficial lamb" fish. Besides, the suggested yellow tang is far to big for a 12 gal. Thanks again...Lando

I took these pics of the Cirolanids I caught in my tank. Might help you determine which type you have. Note the eyes, your critter has way smaller eyes:

iso.jpg

iso2.jpg

iso3.jpg

I caught these with a turkey baster, and many hours spent in front of the tank with a flashlight.

Back
Top Bottom