jfran's Pico Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I decided to start a build thread on my new SW pico tank. I have boldly started a pico tank so to be able to take something with me when I depart for college. Allow me to explain everything so far.

The tank is an Eclipse System 3. It is an all in one system meaning the filter is part of the hood. So this leads me to discuss the hardware position:

Hardware:
Eclipse System 3
35 GPH filtering with biowheel
Retrofitted cartridge so I can replace floss more often than activated carbon
50W Aqueon Heater
thermometer
Fluval Sea hydrometer
F6 T5 daylight fluorescent light
2.6 pounds of live rock (cured/reef ready, not covered in decaying matter)
RO/DI pre-mixed saltwater from LFS
Lighthouse pool filter sand

Pictures:
Image1483994898.908906.jpgImage1483994931.820773.jpg

Planned hardware:
refractometer (need something more precise than the hydrometer)
powerhead (need more flow)
Test Kits (mine are kinda old and crappy and are only for ammonia and nitrate)
Another heater to help with water changes

Software:
79 degrees F stable
1.0225 SG
0 PPM Ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
5 ppm Nitrate
pH (not sure, need to buy alkalinity test or high range pH test)
magnesium (need test)
Calcium (need test)

Livestock:
1 Emerald Crab
2 hermit crabs

Planned livestock:
Corals (need better light, powerhead, test kits, etc)
Shrimp of undetermined kind open to suggestions
Snails of undetermined kind open to suggestions
Macro algae perhaps (unless recommended against, I just think they will help with nitrates, phosphorus, etc)
1 goby of some kind???????? (Far down road if I become pico pro)

I have a lot to learn in terms of water changes (how much every week, how to match SG and temp, siphon substrate or not...and how, how often to change carbon/floss, etc ) and in terms of topping off (is it really that bad to TO with treated tap, should it be daily, etc)

This is my first SW tank and I know it's a challenging one, but I think I'm up to it (maybe my wallet's not). Please bear with me, and help this stumbling new guy out. If I'm missing any information, let me know. Right now I'm just asking for some advice on how to proceed. Thanks!

Saltwater really isn't that hard. The maintenance is weekly with water changes and most media lasts about 28-30 days. You want to change out any filter sock/floss minimum of weekly, it depends on how much it is catching and removing from the water column.
You want to have your water be distilled at minimum and ro/di at its best. Tap water is a no no due to the dissolved solids that comes in that won't be removed by simply removing the chlorine.

Good. That looks nice!

Look into Camel Shrimp, they do not really move around too much, they seem to find a spot they like and hang out without too much moving around until you get your hands into the middle of the tank :). They do not get huge! I had a pair in my 5G Chi. They spawned and I gave them to a friend in hopes he could do more to see if he could get the babies to live. (not yet) In this pic, the long white dots in the tank are tiny baby shrimp in their planctonic stage!!!
60074-albums14401-picture69166.jpg

Apologies for the dirty tank pic!

Last edited:
Speaking of dirty tank...
Image1484082209.344571.jpg
Over the last two days this algae or diatoms or something (the brown/green smudge) has appeared in my front glass. Does it signal any imbalance? Solution?

Also, the tiny white dots seem to be some sort of copepod. Good? Bad? What's the deal?

Algae grows on the glass. Not much you can do about it. Enjoy the lifetime of cleaning the glass.
In terms of the pods, they are good guys to have around. If the system can't support them they'll vanish. If it can, they will flourish. It is natural to see them during the early life stages of our systems, but will most likely die off before the system fully matures due to a lack of habitat to thrive in.

Ok! Good. So I'm gonna have to kill some to clean the glass?

Good. That looks nice!

Look into Camel Shrimp, they do not really move around too much, they seem to find a spot they like and hang out without too much moving around until you get your hands into the middle of the tank :). They do not get huge! I had a pair in my 5G Chi. They spawned and I gave them to a friend in hopes he could do more to see if he could get the babies to live. (not yet) In this pic, the long white dots in the tank are tiny baby shrimp in their planctonic stage!!!
60074-albums14401-picture69166.jpg

Apologies for the dirty tank pic!

Would I get a pair or only one? I don't know how big they are.

You could do a pair, after the tank is stablized and running without spikes. They are known to possibly pick at some corals. I didn't ever see a probelm with mine. I had a couple Zoa frags and a leather one or 2 other things as well. Never died or became injured.

The are very interesting, you need to watch a couple videos or see them in person, they move a little like a mechanical insect.

Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp for Marine Reef Aquariums: Camel Shrimp

If you think you would like a Rock Flower Anemone, which are pretty awesome, you can look into another of my favorites which is Anemone shrimp

60074-albums14597-picture70670.jpg

shrimp to the right of the Anemone
60074-albums14597-picture70725.jpg

Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sexy Anemone Shrimp

Shrimp to stay away from would for sure be Banded Shrimp (get too bit for a 3G) and Harlequin Shrimp (they only eat starfish).

Inverts are one of my favorite types of critters!!!

Those are awesome!! Hmmm. They all seem pretty cool and I know I can't do them all (age old problem of aquarists) so which are your favorite?

Right now the Anemone shrimp are my favorite. I have 4, they like to be in groups, so say the experts. Hoping to get more but the are $10. each or more, around here, so the 4 is it for a little while unless I find a good deal.

I have had a Peppermint shrimp as my first one and he was a lot of fun.

Presently I have a little Red Banded Pistol Shrimp ~ 1" which lives under the rock and NEVER see, only knew he was alive when I changed tanks as I found lots of rubble and shells under the stone and there he was. In a little cave home. Thought he was long dead.

What does a rock flower anemone need to survive? Could I put one in my tank? If so, how soon? I seem quite stable for time being

Light and some flow and some say feeding and some say no. Good water conditions as with pretty much every creature in SW.

A mature system. Not sure I can really say how many months. Just that there are no swings in water quality and you have live sand and rock which is usually something that happens with time.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/rock-flower-anemones-334637.html

Back
Top Bottom