Just bought this. Stay tuned...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look good chief. All my base rock that I got in mine is covered in this neon green color stuff. Well it looks like a highlighter when the whites are in but when it's just the blues it is more of a purple.

Thanks brother this little 8 gallon is coming along. Getting water tested today then doing probably a 4 gallon water change.

Also next week my upgraded pump comes. Instead of stock 92gph I'll have 180gph and you know us firemen lol we love more flow!

"more pressure" "more pressure" "oh you want more? Hold on boys!!!"

Convict2161 said:
Thanks brother this little 8 gallon is coming along. Getting water tested today then doing probably a 4 gallon water change.

Also next week my upgraded pump comes. Instead of stock 92gph I'll have 180gph and you know us firemen lol we love more flow!

I hear ya.

Convict2161 said:

I love this thread! Good call convict!

Readingexcalibur said:
I love this thread! Good call convict!

Thank! I'm excited about the pump upgrade. Now maybe a light upgrade? lol ya never know. Also have a bunch of coral frags coming. Keep sticking around for pics ;)

Pump came today and is installed.

image-1110301348.jpg

This was a new poly floss before I put the new pump in. Guess its working.

image-4201976851.jpg

Last edited:
Diatoms getting worse. Also getting what appears to be tiny bubbles all over the rock. The glass was filthy with diatom, I just cleaned the glass and sand. The sand was covered with it. I'm assuming this is normal? Or am I gonna battle this for a while?

image-4038757070.jpg

image-3403244805.jpg

image-4049419150.jpg

Yep, that's all normal, air bubbles are just getting caught in diatoms, you don't have any dinofarters (dinoflagellates, an algae that excretes gases that get trapped in the algae itself) it'll go away, people say they leave as fast as they come. Took me a few weeks though lol. They are just eating the extra silicates from the sand and rock, maybe a little from the rodi filter too if it's not doing it's job well.

It was 81-82 and I was concerned. I found a web site company that deals with colder temp saltwater setups and they offer a pump that was actually better flow 180gph as a posed to the stock 92gph so I went for it. I haven't gotten a heater yet but I may have to go grab one an maybe set it at 78. I have corals coming very soon and don't wanna lose them.

Ya I think a heater is in order, something small that will keep it around 80 should be just fine. You probably have limited space in back of the tank but a little heater should fit.

kdpuffer said:
Ya I think a heater is in order, something small that will keep it around 80 should be just fine. You probably have limited space in back of the tank but a little heater should fit.

Actually the looks are deceiving. The actually made a spot for a decent sized heater. Probably go with tried and trusted Aqueon Pro.

Convict2161 said:
Actually the looks are deceiving. The actually made a spot for a decent sized heater. Probably go with tried and trusted Aqueon Pro.

Those are my favorite heaters.

Are the "diatoms" a bit stringy and are air bubbles getting trapped in the algae? Looks more like dinoflagellates than diatoms. Diatoms are dusty. I hope I'm wrong, it's a bit difficult to tell from the pics.

reefrunner69 said:
Are the "diatoms" a bit stringy and are air bubbles getting trapped in the algae? Looks more like dinoflagellates than diatoms. Diatoms are dusty. I hope I'm wrong, it's a bit difficult to tell from the pics.

Nothing stringy at all. Just looks almost like brown dust? Sand bed and rock now glass are getting hit hard. Gonna do another water change. That size tank it's a breeze. Can't hurt but not sure of it's gonna help. Just driving me crazy!!

Bought 3 snails to see of that helps. Never had diatoms this bad in any of my tanks.

Convict2161 said:
Nothing stringy at all. Just looks almost like brown dust? Sand bed and rock now glass are getting hit hard. Gonna do another water change. That size tank it's a breeze. Can't hurt but not sure of it's gonna help. Just driving me crazy!!

Bought 3 snails to see of that helps. Never had diatoms this bad in any of my tanks.

Cool, in the first pic the algae seemed to have bubbles in it and the algae seemed to have more substance to it than diatoms.

Good luck.

reefrunner69 said:
Cool, in the first pic the algae seemed to have bubbles in it and the algae seemed to have more substance to it than diatoms.

Good luck.

No your correct it has clear bubbles. I was told its just trapped? It's nothing to worry about? The nassarius snails seem to be working on the sand and one other snail is plowing throw glass. Oh and I got 2 tiny blue legged hermits who are picking away at the rock. Maybe that will help.

I bought 5 hermits once and they were all picked off except for the blue leg (idk why but he was throw in there) he is hilarious and kinda a pain in the butt, but he deserves to be alive because he has avoided my flame hawk! He enjoys sleeping on my leather toadstool...its wierd :) i hope yours are entertaining like mine!!

Convict2161 said:
No your correct it has clear bubbles. I was told its just trapped? It's nothing to worry about? The nassarius snails seem to be working on the sand and one other snail is plowing throw glass. Oh and I got 2 tiny blue legged hermits who are picking away at the rock. Maybe that will help.

I've never seen diatoms trap air bubbles, I think you should read up on dinos, there was a thread about them a couple of days ago. And here is an article http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

Have a look, and see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom