Kate's 29gal Biocube Build Pt II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went down to my LFS today and bought some liverock for my new tank setup. I'm hoping to start my cycle this way. I did find some green bubble algae and removed it outside the tank. I've arranged it how I want it and I think it looks good. :) Still waiting on some reef rock from an online store. More updates soon! I do have a few questions:

1. Can somebody give me a link or tell me a complete list of common/uncommon hitchhikers? I believe this rock was actually aqua-cultured and not harvested because of the way it looks. There are no corals on it that I can see just fyi. I do eventually plan to have corals in the future.
2. Does anybody know the wattage for Coralife Biocube LED bars? I have one blue and two white, plus the two fluorescent ones...which I have not been using that are 36 watts...I mentioned I eventually want corals...
3. How long does dead rock (Caribbsea) take to seed/grow stuff on? Days/weeks/months?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394244625.150937.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394244677.506654.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394244706.952799.jpg

+1 everything BigRedsReef said!

Also, about your LR, usually they don't come with corals (unless you're buying a lot of rock from someone you know is selling rock from a reef tank.)

I'd like to know what those "ugly" stages look like...also, after my cycle, should i add fish or CUC first? Corals will be last because i read it takes 6-8 months or longer to be well established.

I used all LR for my tank, and the only "ugly stage" I had was a diatom outbreak.

Also, I would add a cuc first, because of the live rock die-off (but build it up over time, so they all have enough food.)

One more thing, I think you could add corals sooner an 6 months, depending on what kind you get. For sps tp you need an established tank and lots of experience. For softies, you could add them even a couple weeks after getting your cuc going (if your params are relatively stable and there are no other problems.)

Back
Top Bottom