Keegster803's 6 gal nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I go the green light from my parents on a saltwater tank and took the chance, I went out and bought a Fluval spec, live rock, and water. I will be posting pics as I build. I am using the caribsea cichlid rift sand as my LFS said it would be ok for the tank, just make it cycle slower. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426761876.767533.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The sand won't make the cycle any slower. Sand is sand, just made out of different elements. My only concern would be if the rock is porous. Just grab yourself a cocktail shrimp, ask your mom for old panty hose, tie it inside and toss it in.

Hey guys, I added the cocktail shrimp today, and I cut a big chunk of live rock in half and put it in the tank, is this alright?

I have a bunch of little brine shrimp like creatures on my glass, what are they? And what's the difference between the saltwater master test and the freshwater master test?

And since live rock is so expensive, could I buy some hokey rock and put it in their? Or is that a big no-no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 'little shrimp' are pods, most likely amphipods. Good guys to have in the tank.

When it comes to rock, it doesn't have to be live. That said, you can't just go grabbing any porous rock. Some aren't made of the best stuff on earth and can leach nasty stuff into the water. Try looking into macro or base rock and see if that better fits your budget, though you only need a small amount for your tank thankfully!

The difference between the saltwater and fresh master tests is that the colors won't exactly match up when used on the other.

I sent API an email and they sent me a saltwater card for free that I can just use with my freshwater kit.

Ok, thanks for all the replies, now for the livestock list, any advice? I wanna do zoas, and I'm planning on getting an upgraded lighting system. What else could I do for this reef? And any kind of cool zoas I should try?

I think zoas are about personal likes, just look at a bunch and pick out your favorites.

Shep

Hey guys, I started to see this muddy gray stuff on my rock and sand, any ideas? It looks kind of like concrete that hasn't hardened.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like carbon from the filter or maybe chucks of a magnet from a glass scrubber

I think it might be carbon, but I just needed to make sure it wasn't leeched out from the piece of love rock that I cut into the 2 base rocks for the other one to sit on.

Hey guys I am doing 50%water-changes weekly, is this good? Or is it too much? I bought a bucket of instant ocean salt, mixes up to 160 gallons of salt water, for only $39.99. I was wondering if the light that the fluval comes with would be ok for growing zoas? Or should I get a new light? If I need a new light, should I get metal halides? Or T5s?

Anyone? This is my first saltwater tank ever, and I wanna minimize the mistakes on this tank, as I know saltwater is very expensive

Back
Top Bottom