Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kelsey's new pico :D

So I went to petsmart yesterday and the tank i want is on sale! I figured it must be a sign! I got the fluval chi (5 gallon) for $67, so almost a pico, depending on what size you consider to be a pico haha. I then went to petland and the same tank was $100! Petland is so expensive!

Anyways the tank won't get set up until i am done finals (april 25) but i wanted to let you guys no what i am planning for the tank and see what everyone thinks. I was thinking a sexy shrimp tank, I've read they can be bred quite easily and think it would be pretty awesome! I might also get a pair of red neon eviota gobys if they wouldn't bother the shrimp, i think they would be fine.
Lighting i'm still looking into as well as corals (lighting will depend on what corals i decide to keep i guess).

Let me know what yall think!

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about filtration?
Following along , I keep dreaming about turning mine into a reef.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not too worried about filtration since the live rock should do most of that plus i will be doing weekly water changes (if not more), water movement i would like though. I haven't really looked into anything much. I was thinking a small hob filter to keep the water moving, but haven't looked into how small i can get them.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

What corals can you keep with the current lighting you have on the tank?? I forget which one you have, i know its too long for my tank though haha already looked it up yesterday.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What about a AC10? They are pretty small. I'm not familiar with the chi. Theres probably an aftermarket store online somewhere. lol

So that's what goes into pico's? Shrimp? That'd be cool to have mating shrimp, what would you do with the babies? hehe
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks ill look that one up, i'm assuming that's aquaclear? The chi is basically a cube lol but taller. 10 inch by 10 inch by 12 inch, comes with some bad lighting but everything can be removed easily so its just the cube.

Yup shrimp, crabs, corals, and really small gobys like the ones i said i might add.

The babies I'd raise and then bring to my LFS to sell. I can be their supplier haha maybe i can work a deal out where i get a free fish/coral for every 10 brought in or something.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Very cool. i didn't even think corals lol. I wasnt sure if it was sw or fw lol. And yep, ac is aquaclear. Great little filter. I have a 20 and its tiny but rated for 20 gallons.

In my journeys if I find any stores for mods I'll share the link. I'm always searching for fish stuff
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just did some looking and the chi looks so clean and modern. Are you going to get a different light? the one it has looks cool but not to good for sw. Not sure how an AC would look on that cool tank.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah i will be getting a new better light (possibly making one if i can't find a good not too expensive one). It would be nice if the heater could fit in the back of the filter so it wouldn't be in the display part. I'd probably need a bigger filter though and therefore more flow. I dno I'll have to do some research here after my finals. Hope it still looks nice and modern when I'm done updating it.

Yup def saltwater I was thinking about setting up a small tank in my bathroom on the vanity for a betta fish, but then i found out that they are way happier with a heater. Which means a big cord across the vanity which is not that pretty. I had a betta for two years with no heater poor guy. All the setups they sell for them have no heaters either, how cruel.

and thanks, links are always appreciated!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you use an Aquaclear, you could fit a hydor 15w nano heater mat in it. It's preset, but it's an option.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heater mat :O I did not even know those excisted. I'll definitely look those up and the reviews for the product, thanks!

Tags
pico

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com