Kelsey's new pico :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went to petsmart yesterday and the tank i want is on sale! I figured it must be a sign! I got the fluval chi (5 gallon) for $67, so almost a pico, depending on what size you consider to be a pico haha. I then went to petland and the same tank was $100! Petland is so expensive!

Anyways the tank won't get set up until i am done finals (april 25) but i wanted to let you guys no what i am planning for the tank and see what everyone thinks. I was thinking a sexy shrimp tank, I've read they can be bred quite easily and think it would be pretty awesome! I might also get a pair of red neon eviota gobys if they wouldn't bother the shrimp, i think they would be fine.
Lighting i'm still looking into as well as corals (lighting will depend on what corals i decide to keep i guess).

Let me know what yall think! :D

What about filtration?
Following along :popcorn:, I keep dreaming about turning mine into a reef.

I'm not too worried about filtration since the live rock should do most of that plus i will be doing weekly water changes (if not more), water movement i would like though. I haven't really looked into anything much. I was thinking a small hob filter to keep the water moving, but haven't looked into how small i can get them.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

What corals can you keep with the current lighting you have on the tank?? I forget which one you have, i know its too long for my tank though haha already looked it up yesterday.

What about a AC10? They are pretty small. I'm not familiar with the chi. Theres probably an aftermarket store online somewhere. lol

So that's what goes into pico's? Shrimp? That'd be cool to have mating shrimp, what would you do with the babies? hehe

Thanks ill look that one up, i'm assuming that's aquaclear? The chi is basically a cube lol but taller. 10 inch by 10 inch by 12 inch, comes with some bad lighting but everything can be removed easily so its just the cube.

Yup shrimp, crabs, corals, and really small gobys like the ones i said i might add.

The babies I'd raise and then bring to my LFS to sell. I can be their supplier haha maybe i can work a deal out where i get a free fish/coral for every 10 brought in or something.

Very cool. i didn't even think corals lol. I wasnt sure if it was sw or fw lol. And yep, ac is aquaclear. Great little filter. I have a 20 and its tiny but rated for 20 gallons. :)

In my journeys if I find any stores for mods I'll share the link. I'm always searching for fish stuff

I just did some looking and the chi looks so clean and modern. Are you going to get a different light? the one it has looks cool but not to good for sw. Not sure how an AC would look on that cool tank.

Yah i will be getting a new better light (possibly making one if i can't find a good not too expensive one). It would be nice if the heater could fit in the back of the filter so it wouldn't be in the display part. I'd probably need a bigger filter though and therefore more flow. I dno I'll have to do some research here after my finals. Hope it still looks nice and modern when I'm done updating it.

Yup def saltwater :) I was thinking about setting up a small tank in my bathroom on the vanity for a betta fish, but then i found out that they are way happier with a heater. Which means a big cord across the vanity which is not that pretty. I had a betta for two years with no heater :( poor guy. All the setups they sell for them have no heaters either, how cruel.

and thanks, links are always appreciated!

If you use an Aquaclear, you could fit a hydor 15w nano heater mat in it. It's preset, but it's an option.

If you haven't heard of them yet, a Par30 or Par38 LED light would be great for this tank. 3 recommended places are Rapid LED, BoostLED and Nanocustoms/Nanotuners.

The ones that screw directly into a regular bulb socket?? What corals will these keep? I don't know much about par, guess i should since it's more accurate that watts these days. If you care to share any of this par info that would be nice.

So i'm pretty sure that bulb would be perfect! It will be the one i end up getting probably, then i just gotta find a nice clip on light to hold it in. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks a lot, one update solved.

Great, yah i read that they were equivalent to MH. Here are two pics of the tank (even though everyone can google it and find it easily haha)

img_1300745_0_a317fdefc79a358d9cfc6e9c4d8bb5ae.jpg

I will be taking the light/filter out so its just the tank

img_1300745_1_e85dbb7d3b4a6f603df306422b8fab63.jpg

Just some phone pics.

On a side note, Jen, how do you get your threads to show up in your signature nicely?? I tried but just got the full long address.

You use the linking button, the world with the chain-thing on it. It'll ask for the URL, you put it in. Then in the middle of the 2 sets of brackets you can type whatever text you want.

Also, I suggest getting an adjustable desk lamp if possible, rather than a clip-on, because a clip-on will probably put it too close. The bulbs are powerful, that close might be too much.

okay I tried again, unsuccessful. What two brackets? Are they suppose to show up or do i put them in?

Okay, good idea thanks. I'll have to start looking for something.

Back
Top Bottom