Led choices?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoNewb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in anticipation of DIY led for a 16G reef tank what are some good Cree lighting combos that won't limit my coral choices? Also for my whites should I mix cool and neutral? This will be my first DIY LED so any extra advice is helpful.

Full spectrum is a waste for corals. You only need white and blues to grow corals successfully.
If you aren't dead set on DIY, the taotronic LEDs are cheap and grow coral great.

Ya I am kinda dead set on a DIY! Is really fun and get exactly what I want...sometimes! LOL!

What do you think Cool whites or Neutral?

I'll pretend to understand that aspect of what you are doing...but you would want to look into the color spectrum of these diodes so you can decide if they are filling the needs of corals.

Full spectrum is a waste for corals. You only need white and blues to grow corals successfully.
If you aren't dead set on DIY, the taotronic LEDs are cheap and grow coral great.

Doesnt full spectrum show colors of corals better? Any other positives of just doing blue and white only?

So I bought my DIY lights. I went with the

LED Supply Heat Sink Kit
12 CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED
6 CREE XP-G2 Neutral White LED
2 LED Moonlight Kit
and 2 Meanwell Dimmable Drivers.

I am going to see how the color looks and go from there. I figure if I choose to use supplemental colors I can add them later as they will need there own drivers anyway. I am broke after buying this, a new fish tank, and going to find a stand tonight...HAHA!

The "other colors" mostly are supplemental to get the look you want from what I understand...Here is a very helpful link from another forum that explains each color and its purpose.

An Updated LED Guide v1.0 - Lighting Forum - Nano-Reef.com Forums

It's just personal preference. I didn't see any extra coloration using a multicolored unit over a blue and white panel. As for the blues, I would use a blue and royal blue mixture, and maybe toss in a violet or two.

Back
Top Bottom