led flood light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czwicky

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have yet another 8g aqueon evolve that is cycling and I've been looking to upgrade the lighting. Im really considering the reefbreeders par38. I want to be able to grow sps( particularly montipora) and a par30 doesn't seem to get the job done. I saw these led floodlights on eBay and was wondering what you guys think. For $90 it wouldn't be a bad deal as long as I can grow sps with them. Now I'm also considering a DIY led setup but I have no idea what all I would need hardware wise and what I would need to make it dimmable.
Here is a link to the floodlight: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300861797953&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=42565368479

Not sure if this helps, but we recently replaced the halogen bulbs in the recessed lights in our kitchen with flood light style LEDs and the fellow at the store (Lowes) said that we could use the existing light switch style dimmer (it is a sliding knob next to a regular toggle switch) since it was one of the newer types (as opposed to the older rotary type). However, at the lowest setting there is the occasional flicker. If I were doing a DYI dimmer for the floodlights you mentioned, I'd get an LED rated dimmer and mount it in an approved electrical box between the timer and the lights.

You should check out the BeamWorks LED lights on EBay. These lighting systems are flying under the radar but I can testify they are FANTASTIC lights. I've had the larger version on a 16 gallon and I have the exact version you see in the pic below right now on my 8 gallon aqueon evolve. I've got everything from zoas to sps and they seem to love the light. Best 40 bucks I've ever spent!

Attachments

• image-3255206877.jpg
    image-3255206877.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1092838496.jpg
    image-1092838496.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom