LED lighting, decisions decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunV

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I am looking at getting a different light for my tank and I can't decide. I would love some input. My tank is 17 gallons and measures 22" long x 11" wide x 16" height. I currently use a crappy odyssea light with 2 actinic and an MH. I was told the light was 15,000k. Upon further inspection, the halide reads 6500k. So lame. Also, my tank heats up too much especially now that summer is coming. I started the tank in early March of this year. I have 1 plating montipora, 1 Jedi Mind Trick, some zoas, xenias, and a variety of mushrooms. I am trying to decide between a couple different lights.

Either 1 Aqua Illumination Nano ($349) with controller ($80) or
1 Kessil Tuna Blue 350w ($399) with the gooseneck mount

I love the light on the Kessil and the reason I am leaning towards the 350w instead of the 150w is b/c of the dimming capabilities and the light will be usable when I get a larger tank someday.

The only downside I see with the Kessil is there is no controller available. I spoke with Kessil today and they said they will have a new light with controls in the fall of this year.

I love the way the AI Nano is so controllable. The biggest downsize to this light is the fact that it only has a coverage area of 15" square. That would mean that 3.5" on both sides of my tank will not be getting enough light. Also, when I upgrade my tank, I will have to get another light. I have also read many reviews stating that the mounting bracket sucks.

So, which light should I get? I don't want to wait until the fall because I am worried the tank will get too hot and things will die. I am not interested in adding a chiller because I have enough stuff hanging off my tank and after I get the LEDs, the chiller would be useless to me.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have been reading as many reviews as I can and they say both of these lights are great. I like how small they are and that they mount to the back of the tank. I just don't know which way to go. Thanks in advance.

I am also thinking maybe a light by JBJ. Any suggestions for others or for the ones I listed would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have experience with these lights?

Well my personal preferance would be not to have a gooseneck light fixture. The Al led is really nice. They come in 2 different sizes
Be sure to check em out! They may make led strips that are reef capable. Those can fit in the space the Al cant light up enough

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to wonder if anyone was still participating in this forum. I do like the ai, but I don't want to hang anything from the ceiling and I am trying to avoid straddling the tank from side to side.

I have thought about DIY LED but I don't think I could make them look as slick as the AI or Kessil or JBJ.

Thanks for the suggestion on the DIY but knowing myself, I won't do it. I have a hundred DIY projects I started and didn't finish. Oh well, yours do look good though. I am leaning towards going with the Kessil, but I think I will wait until the controller becomes available. I know Kessils are fairly new for Aquariums, but they are made in the USA and they have a pretty amazing looking light. I like the look of having the mounting arm attached to the back of the tank as opposed to suspended from the ceiling or mounted from side to side. I would like to be able to see into the tank from above, which I can't do now. Plus I am always having to take my lights off completely to do anything in the tank and it is a pain.

Jacobsal91 said:
Well my personal preferance would be not to have a gooseneck light fixture. The Al led is really nice. They come in 2 different sizes
Be sure to check em out! They may make led strips that are reef capable. Those can fit in the space the Al cant light up enough

Looks like the Vega will be out soon too with customizable LED pucks. Looks interesting. But again, I don't want to take up too much room over the top of my tank. The Sol would probably work, but I like the small size of the nano better but e nano is just a hair too small for the width of my tank...

I went with the AI SOL BLUE LED system. Really nice fit on my BC29. I gutted the hood and cut a hole in the hood and it fits perfect and I was able to use the stock splash guard. I have a bunch of pictures in my album but I'll link ya my YouTube vids if ya wanna check them out.

I didn't go with the nano, I felt it wouldn't cover enough so I went one step up. I like the idea that you can have it slowly ramp up to noon and ramp back down to moonlight then I have it set for total darkness from 3am to 7am where it starts dawn.

Convict2161 said:
I went with the AI SOL BLUE LED system. Really nice fit on my BC29. I gutted the hood and cut a hole in the hood and it fits perfect and I was able to use the stock splash guard. I have a bunch of pictures in my album but I'll link ya my YouTube vids if ya wanna check them out.

I didn't go with the nano, I felt it wouldn't cover enough so I went one step up. I like the idea that you can have it slowly ramp up to noon and ramp back down to moonlight then I have it set for total darkness from 3am to 7am where it starts dawn.

Great looking tank. I really like the looks of the light in there.

Back
Top Bottom