Lighting advice for 14g biocube, pls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celine

Aquarium Advice Regular
I like to have a better lighting for bubble coral. What can I add/ change to my lighting system to increase light output w/out any wire alteration, pls?
Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat. I've been looking at the 12 inch stunner strips. They adhere with screws or a double sided tape on the back of the unit. Haven't done it yet, just thought about it.

AnthonyR said:
I'm in the same boat. I've been looking at the 12 inch stunner strips. They adhere with screws or a double sided tape on the back of the unit. Haven't done it yet, just thought about it.

The stunner strips? It is good to the coral or just for the outlook, pls?

They have blue led stunners help accent the actinic output of your biocube. They add a neat shimmering affect and also come in many different colors options. You can see them at liveaquaria.com. LEDs are always a good addition to any reef aquarium. Some of the tanks with them have shown phenomenal growth rates of many different types of corals. Check out some of LED tanks on YouTube!

I don't know of anyway you are going to be able to add additional lighting to your BC without modifying the hood. I am sure there are some "strip" products out there that will add to your lighting with little modification. Of course, you could always remove the hood and get a different type of lighting system but that defeats the purpose of having a BC. :(

Starchar said:
I don't know of anyway you are going to be able to add additional lighting to your BC without modifying the hood. I am sure there are some "strip" products out there that will add to your lighting with little modification. Of course, you could always remove the hood and get a different type of lighting system but that defeats the purpose of having a BC. :(

Exactly, no hood, I would rather to buy different type of tank. The over the top good lighting cost over $500...??, can't afford it.

The thing about stunner strips is the fact u can't place them next to the PC bulbs. The heat affects them. Not that u would have room anyway. As for replacing the bulbs with strips. Don't think u can cram enough of them in ur hood to do u much good. I use Stunners on my African Cichlid Tank but the light isn't as crucial to this tank as what u want. Don't think I haven't thought about this myself. I also have a Bio14. And the strips aren't cheap. About $45 a pop. Plus a transformer, reflectors. Would cost roughly 2 - $300 dollars for what u want. Expensive gamble if it doesn't suit ur needs

Crabs said:
The thing about stunner strips is the fact u can't place them next to the PC bulbs. The heat affects them. Not that u would have room anyway. As for replacing the bulbs with strips. Don't think u can cram enough of them in ur hood to do u much good. I use Stunners on my African Cichlid Tank but the light isn't as crucial to this tank as what u want. Don't think I haven't thought about this myself. I also have a Bio14. And the strips aren't cheap. About $45 a pop. Plus a transformer, reflectors. Would cost roughly 2 - $300 dollars for what u want. Expensive gamble if it doesn't suit ur needs

Thanks for the info.

I have a BC14... took out the stock pc's
Added 2 panorama pros 12k white / 453nmblue combos
1 8k/453nm blue stunner strip
2 power supplies, 1-2 way splitter
Was still able to keep the stock fans working and was still able to keep the stock moon lights working. Everything installed very clean looking and nice. The light output is phenomenal !!!!! Corals are loving it!! Way brighter then the stocks for sure. My total cost was around 340-360. I might add 1 more blue stunner in the future though...theres enough room for at least 2 more. I can take pics of what it looks like if you want..

alink708 said:
I have a BC14... took out the stock pc's
Added 2 panorama pros 12k white / 453nmblue combos
1 8k/453nm blue stunner strip
2 power supplies, 1-2 way splitter
Was still able to keep the stock fans working and was still able to keep the stock moon lights working. Everything installed very clean looking and nice. The light output is phenomenal !!!!! Corals are loving it!! Way brighter then the stocks for sure. My total cost was around 340-360. I might add 1 more blue stunner in the future though...theres enough room for at least 2 more. I can take pics of what it looks like if you want..

$300 is a lot for me. But I would love to see how's ur tank. Here is my tank w/ the original lighting

image-1833825099.jpg

I looked at the lights Naso2 is recommending. Can't say they were given high review rating. I wouldn't even know how to install them without permanently removing the hood

Sorry Celine...my BC sprung a bunch of leaks the Tuesday...spent the last 2 days swapping to a new one, I'll get pics up for you tomorrow of the lights..

BC sprung leaks? Exactly how did u install ur lights? Never heard of 1 leaking

BC sprung leaks? Exactly how did u install ur lights? Never heard of 1 leaking

Yea there was a crack on the bottom glass which was flooding the plastic frame and bursting through all the seals around it. Ended up just getting a new one without a lid from the LFS. Swapped lids and contents...what a pain!!
Here are some pics of the lights, my camera is really old and hard to take tank pics with, in reality the tank is twice as bright now then with the stock PC's.
Installation was easy, took about an hour.
As you can see they fit perfect, the moon lights arent obstructed , the fans arent obstructed and still work. There is enough room for 2 more stunners also.
I can give installation details if you guys want.

Attachments

• S5031032.jpg
    S5031032.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 86
  • S5031033.jpg
    S5031033.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 83
  • S5031036.jpg
    S5031036.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 82
The light looks great. A lot of wrk to install it?

The light looks great. A lot of wrk to install it?

Thanks Celine. No it was pretty easy , took about an hour. Only tools you need is a phillips screwdriver and screwgun with a 1/2" drill bit... but you can get away without the screwgun and drill bit, I drilled 1 hole to pass the cord through for a cleaner look. As far as cost goes, like you said its alot. I bought each piece over the course of a few weeks to make it affordable for myself,then when I had every thing I did the install.

Back
Top Bottom