lighting for a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 g fowlr tank, that I set up after seeing finding nemo with my girlfriend (not my idea, but she just had to have "some nemo's"). The tank is fine, and I have dealt with small saltwaters back in my seahorse breeding days, and its doing just peachy. My only qualm about it is that it is down right ugly. It has only one lightbulb, and nothing really grows off the live rock. I want to get a light that I can put over it, in order to get some growth off my live rock. In reality the only thing i want to add to this tank is some calurpa, and probably a feather duster. That would make the final setup relatively minimalistic. So I need lights. I hold a preferance for vho or pc, but tell me what you think.

Andrej

If you have a incandescent fixture(screw in bulb) you can get a mini-pc bulb that screws in the 10 watt and 20watt varieties. The ones I use are 50/50. cost $10-15

Or you can get a 20 watt mini-pc from home depot. Just make sure it is 6500K. Cost $8.00

These type of bulbs won't give you a ton of light unless you use more than one.

Or you can get a PC fixture for it. There are a few fixtures that are not real expensive or you can build you own if you have a canopy. I built a canopy for mine and I have a 2x32 PC set up in there.

I use the screw in bulbs for my fuge and 5 gal nano.

HTH

How about trying the small screw in PC are nice if you want better lighting and not high $$$ output... if you have a double incandescent hood that will give you 22watts at 11watts each if you buy the all glass brand from a LFS at about $11 bucks each... I havent seen the ones here at Home Depot, but heard they are cheaper and they may have higher wattage than the 11watts I have been using, 15-20 watts I think I have heard.

You can also upgrade to a standard 10g flo. hood for about the same from walmart.

Warmly,
Kimberly

After re-reading your first post, you don't need a lot of light for caulerpa or a feather duster. Try the 20 watt screw in PC buld and see if that is enough.

Look at the 20 watt 50/50 Coralife bulb.

Back
Top Bottom