Lighting for a 40 gallon breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the 25 should be fine. If you get the 40, you should invest in a 5 dollar dimmer switch to slow it down even more than the lowest setting-
PWM Dimmer Switch in Line Manual Knob Style 12V 24V for 1 Single LED Strip Light | eBay
I have a 105 rimless and recently aquired my second wp40 (the first crapped out on me in only 3 months, and no one would honor the warranty), and I use this dimmer because the lowest setting is too much for my 48x24 tank.

That's what I was thinking as well, after watching many YouTube videos on the 40 and the 25 it seems like the 40 would be overkill. Come on payday so I can spend all my money on more fish stuff!!!!!! Hahaha thanks mr. X

Alright Mr. X, next question, need some stocking ideas now that I have a decent sized tank!!!!! Current occupants are as follows, 2 occ clowns, spotted mandarin, and a cleaner shrimp. I'm really wanting a hippo tang but my tank size isn't quite big enough ?, so what I'm looking for is "bright" fish and something that can take care of themselves seeing how my clown fish are bullies haha. Throw out those ideas, going to the lfs today!!!!!

Are you sure you can sustain a mandarin? I'm thinking this is a bad choice for a brand new tank. 99% of them eat nothing but live food, which can't be added to the tank affordably. I think this is a long, slow death from starvation for this guy. Hmm...my spell check is saying affordably isn't a word. Interesting.
Meanwhile, Purple firefish are ok. I always liked flame hawks...though the cleaner shrimp might be a target. If not, green clown gobies are cool, as are canary blennies and jawfish (make sure you have a tight fitting lid if you go for jawfish, as they are jumpers). Some fairy wrasses might work. I love the mystery wrasse- again, a tight fitting lid for this guy).

No no Mr. X, this is my 3rd tank, just started this one but I moved about 35 lbs of cured live rock that was in my previous tank and I also added about 20 more lbs of dry rock. If he starts looking stressed I'll scoop him out and bring him to the lfs. He seems to be doing pretty good. I've had him now for about 5-6 months and the live rock was in my tank previously for a year we shall see. But anywho haha, heading to the lfs to see what I can find on your list!!!!!

**** it, my spotted mandarin is going back to the fish store tomorrow. Just read up on them and yeah he won't make it much longer in the new setup, why do I even try to question you Mr. X haha. Thanks for all your input

+1 on Mr. X's suggestion on the Flame Hawk. I just got one and they are interesting little fish. I've always found perching fish cool.

Well my spotted mandarin went back to the lfs, my tank is in the middle of a mini-cycle. Bought some bio start and we shall see how that does. Glad the little guy is alright though but he was a pretty awesome little fish

Back
Top Bottom