lighting my 8g and other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czwicky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 8g aqeuon evolve that is just the stock lights and barely grows button polyps. I'd like to do a mini sps tank with a coral goby/shrimp pair. I was wondering what your guys opinions are of the boostLED par 30 fixture and if you think it would grow sps(mainly monti cap/digi).

Here's a link to the light. http://www.boostled.com/product_p/par30.htm

If you don't think it would grow sps what do you Think would grow under it? I'd like something branchy for the goby so maybe a photosynthetic gorgonian?

Also would keeping a maxi-mini carpet in this tank with 2-3 sexy shrimp work with the goby/shrimp combo? Don't wanna overdo the bioload.

I plan to put in some marine plants like maidens hair and brush plant and maybe some red macro. Mainly to help with nitrates and also to add some diversity.

Dude in the light description it says that SPS do best with par 100 bulbs :) did you read the whole thing :)

The description does not say they do best with PAR 100 bulbs. What it is referring to is the amount of light penetrating the water. The graph shows the par levels.

I believe this light will do well to light your 8 gal tank and you should be fine having SPS. The boost LED light clamp is nice too. I have one.

Thanks bear. That's what I thought but a few more opinions are always good. And Craig you need to get your eyes checked my friend :)

Thanks bear. That's what I thought but a few more opinions are always good. And Craig you need to get your eyes checked my friend :)

Well, I can see why he thought it said a par 100. I have a par 38 on my 10 gallon and it works very well. I don't have SPS yet, but if I positioned them right they'd be fine.

SPS need between 150 to 550 PAR, this PAR30 will prvide enough for some simple SPS for sure, the only thing missing is that this light is not full spectrum. I have some full spectrum PAR38 being tested but until it is fully ready, you should check out the reefbreeder's full spectrum PAR38 LED. It will bring out the vibrant color of your SPS.

got my sample, this is the one I have now, I will ask them to tweak the LED location a bit, I don't like the Green on the side, I will probly asking them to make it in the middle or change the red and green LED to warm white
img_2339828_0_1a3ba272831f3667418bc5a8915f6f91.jpg

img_2339828_1_3de9623f678f5fc3556c283044166f20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom