Lighting question (anemone)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRIFTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new anemone and im worried about him getting enough light in my nano cube.. The light is a 24 watt 50/50 compact flourecent over a 12 gallon nano cube. My questions about light are as follows:

1. Does is make a diffirence how close an anemone or coral is to the light?

2. Does it make a diffirence how long the light is on each day?

3. Can my lighting support the bubble tip anemone i have in there now.

At the lfs this anemone was about 3 feet bellow the lighing over his tank and there was another tank the light had to pass through before it reched his tank. I figured since he was doing good at the fish store for a whole( iwached him for a few weeks) That he would bw ok in my tank but now im worried.

Thanks for helping.

Your lighting is a bit on the low-end, even for a BTA which are considered a lower light species. generally, an anenome will find a place on it's own where it is happy with the light and the water flow. I would not try to move it. I have to admit, I am skeptical as to it's survival. there is just not enough light to support it long-term. Good luck...Lando

So leaving the light on for longer periods and or being closer to the light will not do anything?

Also there is an retrofit kit for the nano cube that adds a 28w 14" compact flourecent bulb. Would adding this to my 24w 50/50 bulb for a total of 52 watts over a 12 gal tank be enough?

If i would benefit from the retrofit kiti will buy it but then i have one more question. The kit offeres several diffirent bulbs . what would be ideal for my situation?

- 28w 50/50 10k/ actinic 03
or
-28w actinic 03
or
-28w 10k
or
-28w 6,700k

I dont know the diffirence. Thanks

Leaving the light on for longer periods of time will not do anything. It is a matter of light penetration, not time. With the lighting up-grade you may be okay with a BTA.

Ok so what lighting should i select out of the 4 diffirent types i listed :

- 28w 50/50 10k/ actinic 03
or
-28w actinic 03
or
-28w 10k
or
-28w 6,700k

I dont know the diffirence. Thanks

I would go with one actinic and one 10,000K. That sould give you a nice spectrum.

I read that the act 03 makes the corals and anemones glow more brightly. Is that true? i also read that it guves things int he tank a more blueish look.Because that blue look is what i like. Plus i already have the existing 50/50 bulb so there is some white light already.

And i have a dumb question but i have to ask. Until the lighting kit gets here would it benefit the amenone at all if i aimed my flourecent drop light at it just to help it stay alive untill i get the retrofit kit? i really dont want to loose this anemone. Yesterday it shriveled up for like an hour then it puffed back up. It has me worried.

The Actinic will give off a blue light, and will benefit the anemone. I don't think that the florescent light will help, but I will differ that to someone else. As for you anemone shriveling up, I won't worry about that too much, mine does it from time to time and it is still doing good.

I do have a question for you. Where did you find the retrofit kit at. I have a nano and think I will need the retrofit kit.

Thanks and good luck.

the kit i found was at www.hellolights.com , go into the retrofit section and then into nano and choose the 14".

The website does not include instructions but according to my friend (who has already purchased the kit for his nano cube) the instructions are on an dedicated anno website that i would have to get the address for from him because i dont know it.

So does anyone know if the flourecent droplight i have that is 13 watts will help at all for the anemone?

Also i still havent heard if moving the anemone closer to the light will help at all, so will it?

DRIFTER said:
So does anyone know if the flourecent droplight i have that is 13 watts will help at all for the anemone?
If you have it definately use it until you can get the proper lighting that's been suggested previously. It won't help in the long term though.

Also i still havent heard if moving the anemone closer to the light will help at all, so will it?
Moving the anemone is not a good option. They are very easily damaged and will often degrade quite quickly if injured. Moving the anemone would be a little futile since they are a mobile animal, the chances of it staying put are quite slim. If the anemone was so inclined, it would have already moved to capture more light if available.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom