lighting schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a stock biocube 29 that finished cycling about 3 weeks ago. This is my second time starting it up. I had an algae problem in the past. So I ask you, what's the best lighting schedule to keep algae away but yet support coral growth? I read somewhere that a 4hr on 2 off and 4 on method was good because it doesn't allow ample time for the algae to grow because of the photoperiod. How much truth is behind that?

Zooxanthelle (spelling?) the symbiotic algae in coral peaks more in the blue-er spectrum where as nuisance algae usually prefers a more yellow spectrum of light.

That photo period theory is nonsense. You need to keep your nutrients low. That's how you keep algae from taking over. Water changes, reasonable feeding, reasonable bio load...

That photo period theory is nonsense. You need to keep your nutrients low. That's how you keep algae from taking over. Water changes, reasonable feeding, reasonable bio load...

Listen to Mr X, he's got much more experience than I do. He's yet to steer me wrong.

I was addressing the theory of turning your lights off after 4 hours and then back on....

Meanwhile, years ago, people lit their tanks with 6500k metal halides and today, folks use sunlight directed through solar tubes to light their tanks, and those people were able to keep algae free tanks.
Think of the ocean. It's lit by the sun, which is a very wide spectrum of light, capable of growing plants and corals. It would be overrun with algae if it was a color temp thing. Only the outer extremities of the ocean show algae because that's where the ocean's nutrients are highest.

Mr X, would you suggest a protein skimmer? I was thinking about the Tunze 9002. How should I run my lights? Is it possible to keep my blues on too long? I usually turn them on when I wake up and off before I go to bed. Sometimes they're on for several hours without the days being on.

I would max out at 12 hours of light, tops.
About the skimmer, It's all about how much nutrients you are taking out, as opposed to how much you are adding.
If you think your water changes and reasonable feeding/bio load is working without a skimmer, then I would say to skip it.
A skimmer is never a bad thing, unless you don't need it and it makes the tank look ugly of course..

Back
Top Bottom