Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmeredith56880

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a 10g saltwater tank back in July and just added my first corals last week. I only added yellow polyps and dragon eye zoas. I am currently running two 6500k CFLS in the stock hood. I have a glass hood on the way from drsfosterandsmith and have been shopping around for a new fixture. I found a few diff options and just wanted help choosing/advice on alternatives.
Option 1:
T5HO 2x18w fixture. comes with a 10k bulb and an actinic bulb.
Amazon.com: Odyssea 20" T5 HO Aquarium Light Dual Fluorescent Hood Fixture - Marine 2x18W: Pet Supplies
Option 2:
T5HO 4x18w fixture. comes with 2 10k bulbs, 2 actinic bulbs and 4 LED moonlights
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

They are the same light but I'm not sure if one would be too much or if both are too little light. I also looked at the aqueon modular led light but i didn't find good reviews. The dual fixture is 41.99 with 7.49 shipping and the quad is 59.90 so its really only like a 10 dollar difference. Thanks.

odyssea lack quality control and is known for early breakdown of the fixture. but if you're set on getting the odyssea fixture, i would go with the quad fixture. you can never have too much light. even if it's too much for right now, i would just use 2 or 3 of the bulbs and it's always good to have a spare slot reserved for the future changes.

I started a 10g saltwater tank back in July and just added my first corals last week. I only added yellow polyps and dragon eye zoas. I am currently running two 6500k CFLS in the stock hood. I have a glass hood on the way from drsfosterandsmith and have been shopping around for a new fixture. I found a few diff options and just wanted help choosing/advice on alternatives. Option 1: T5HO 2x18w fixture. comes with a 10k bulb and an actinic bulb. Amazon.com: Odyssea 20" T5 HO Aquarium Light Dual Fluorescent Hood Fixture - Marine 2x18W: Pet Supplies Option 2: T5HO 4x18w fixture. comes with 2 10k bulbs, 2 actinic bulbs and 4 LED moonlights Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting They are the same light but I'm not sure if one would be too much or if both are too little light. I also looked at the aqueon modular led light but i didn't find good reviews. The dual fixture is 41.99 with 7.49 shipping and the quad is 59.90 so its really only like a 10 dollar difference. Thanks.

I got the odyssey when I first started on my 10 and they worked fine for me! Great for low/med light coral! They will get the job done for a good price. However, LEDs are great and may provide a good option later down the road!

I started a 10g saltwater tank back in July and just added my first corals last week. I only added yellow polyps and dragon eye zoas. I am currently running two 6500k CFLS in the stock hood. I have a glass hood on the way from drsfosterandsmith and have been shopping around for a new fixture. I found a few diff options and just wanted help choosing/advice on alternatives.
Option 1:
Amazon.com: Odyssea 20" T5 HO Aquarium Light Dual Fluorescent Hood Fixture - Marine 2x18W: Pet Supplies
Option 2:
T5HO 4x18w fixture. comes with 2 10k bulbs, 2 actinic bulbs and 4 LED moonlights

They are the same light but I'm not sure if one would be too much or if both are too little light. I also looked at the aqueon modular led light but i didn't find good reviews. The dual fixture is 41.99 with 7.49 shipping and the quad is 59.90 so its really only like a 10 dollar difference. Thanks.

I'd recommend the par30 led bulb from boostled I have one over my 10 gallon and my corals seem to love it and the lights last 4-6 years

Option 1:
Option 2:

Either of those fixtures will work, the 4 bulb will allow you to keep some lps while the 2 bulb will really be limited to softies. I had one of the odyssea leds over my ten gallon and it worked wonderfully. Definitely no on the aqueon light, not enough light. I'd get a single par38 bulb and call it a day, will give you much better color than both those fixtures. Ecoxotic makes really nice ones.

Back
Top Bottom