liquid nutrients...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is your problem. You should be able to get access to RO/DI water somehow. Either buying it at the fish shop, buying an RO/DI system, or even just buying distilled water.

Seriously tap water is that bad even if I'm treating it? And I know ro means reverse osmosis but is di distilled then? Because we sell distilled filterd water at my work. I can just start buyin it from there.

DI=deionized. RO/DI is so pure that it won't even conduct electricity.

Treating tap water does nothing more than detoxify chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, etc. It does not remove nitrate, phosphate, silicates, etc. I don't know how well it takes care of heavy metals either, but stuff like copper is the last thing you want in a reef. Although tap water is safe to drink it is a soup of nutrients in a reef system. In nature the water on a reef has very little nutrients, otherwise they turn in to algae farms (which is what we are doing to many of them).

I have never had a single client or customer who has had a nice reef tank using tap water. I have had them try, myself included, but they all come to the same conclusion, it just doesn't work. I am sure there is an exception somewhere out there in the world, but your tank has proven it is not it.

If the distilled water is 100% distilled it should have 0 TDS just like RO/DI. If you can test the TDS/conductivity to verify this you have your solution.

Even distilled water will contain dissolved solids. I checked some different brands, out of curiosity and found that none were 0 TDS. RO/DI is the only way to go really

All the distilled I checked ran 0 TDS. It was 100% distilled, not drinking water or with anything added at all. By definition distilled should run 0 TDS.

Too bad I don't have a refractometer at my dispense. I know the filtered water I use at my work is good because that's what I run all my tanks with there. And my invert tanks with my nems polyps zoos shrimps crabs urchins and starfish is never in bad shape. Ntm I rarely lose anything (due to death) in there. The lfs by my house (not my work) has a refractometer so maybe tomorrow ill run a sample of my water from work to him and see how it tests out. Thanks a lot guys for all ur help and wisdom.

Don't want to continue harping on this but filtered VS. Distilled is a major difference. U can Brita filter ur home water and remove 99% of the bad stuff. But the TDS only drops slightly. I've also checked this as I drink filtered water. I use a mighty mite RO/DI system for my nano needs. They're cheap but only produce 11/2-2 gal. per hr. If u r using filtered water with good results then that's all that matters

Refractometer is not what you need. That measures salinity and can not tell the difference between horrible tap water and 0 TDS. You need to test TDS/conductivity. I bought my meter for $10 shipped on eBay.

You need to have a refractometer. IMO you might as well guess by tasting if you are going to use a hydrometer. $30 shipped on eBay.

Our system here is culligan and microfiber filter. I'm going to take a sample to another lfs with a better test setup than I have available here. It won't b till like Wednesday but when I do ill post on this thread about what he says the quality is so u can let me know if its in the acceptable paramaters. I don't think it can be too bad considering I use this water in store but id like to know just for kicks. Lol.

It won't be. As stated drinking water filters don't even come close.

Yep. That's exactly what I paid for mine off of eBay. Inexpensive, yet necessary tools for successful reef keeping

Yup. Totally right. Even my distilled microfiltered water from work has phosphates in it. A lot lower than my tap water at home so I'm going to use that untill I get my rodi unit that I'm ordering in two weeks when I get paid :( oh well. I got my new lights so let's see if I can't make this slime algae really grow now.... lol

That's because your water at work isn't distilled, it's simply filtered tap water according to your posts. Watch the major water quality changes once u begin using RO/DI water.

Back
Top Bottom