Live rock die off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodOSoot

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was told you are supposed to use a turkey baster to "blow off" the die off on LR after it is in the tank.

Also when I setup the tank the water was cold(long drive from the LFS) and it seems I haven't killed off everything by using cold water because I had a couple of hitchhickers as well.

Well I had a bit of spillage as well in the car and I had to top off with DI water because I don't have salt. It is easier for me to go to the LFS for water changes than do it myself but I may do it myself since it is only a 12g Aquapod. Salt would last pretty long if I am only replacing 2-3 gallons at a time. I am in an apartment so I would be buying RO/DI from the store and my own salt or driving an getting premixed water from a LFS(not the big chains either, all they do is SW).

I have not tested the water yet, I figure I give it 5 days then see where I'm at. Currently at day 2 with the tank running.

Looks like 2 hermits are the hitchhikers I will post up a pic when I get home tonight.

My current light schedule is moonlight on 24/7, antics on from 8ishAM to 9 ishPM and whites on from 12PM to 8PM. Does this sound about right? I heard it was a good idea to not have the daylights burn away for more than 8 hours to stem bad algae growth.

Was this cured or uncured LR?
Uncured should be scrubbed of obviusly dead stuff before going into the tank.

So you have a RODI unit but you don't have any salt?
You should get a refractometer to measure the SG of the tank and your change water. You should also get a box of salt and keep 5 gallon pail mixed and sealed for PWC's and emergency's.

You don't need any lights during cycling. Most run actinics for 12 hours and 10k for 10 hours per day, but 8 hours is fine too.

I run actinic/blue for 10 hours and white for 8. 1 hour blue before and after the white. But as mentioned, you don't need light while cycling. If you wanna view, I'd suggest only 3-4hours of any light so you can gaze. Gotta gaze, this is fascinating stuff IMO.

You got heat in there now, right?

Moonlight 24/7 is pretty standard. Some turn on auto when the others go out anyway.

I'd probably blow off only after you start skimming. Otherwise, you're just moving it around.

No I either buy RO/DI in gallon jugs to mix my own salt(if I deciede to do that) or I get it from the LFS. They premix it for their tanks and everything is alive and healthly so I rather use theirs to cut down on my overhead. Like I said I live in an apartment so I either buy premixed or gallon jugs.

It said cured but I did have a rather long drive home in cold weather and yes I have a heater. Skimming I have thought about a Nano Fission skimmer and may give it a try if not only PWC then since I was told that is sufficient with nanos.

I am not going to buy a refractometer yet, I will get a hydrometer though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom