LR rubble for new nanotank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting a 12 gallon nanocube. I am ordering LR today and have a question about LR rubble. I want to add as much rubble as possible to the back chambers of the nanocube but I'm not sure how much will really fit in there. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much rubble I should order? My initial estimate was 5 pounds, but that was just a wild guess. Any insight would be appreciated.

tripper

I placed approx. 3.5lbs in chamber 1 and 2 ... I probably could have broke it apart more and fit more in, but I also wanted to leave enough room in the 1st chamber to run a sponge and a bag of Phosban.

My chambers are set like this ...
From the top of the chamber down

Chamber 1 = Sponge, small bag of Phosban, and then LR rubble
Chamber 2 = all LR rubble
Chamber 3 = I cut a small piece of eggcrate perfect to fit in above the pump, and set a bag of Chemipure on that. and then of course I replaced the stock pump with a MiniJet 606.

Check out www.nano-reef.com for some good Nano Info. Are you getting the JBJ Nanocube? If so look into the Cassette case surface skimmer mod. WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

Good Luck,
Jermz

Jermz,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to go ahead with the 5 lbs order and see how much I can get in there. I plan to fit as much as I can in chamber 2 and 3 and use 1 for the sponge.

I actually got this JBJ Nanocube from another AA member. He had the lighting upgraded and added another powerhead. What is the caseette case skimmer mod you are talking about? That is one that I haven't heard about.

Thanks!!

tripper

O.K. what you do is get an 8mm video cassette case and take the back part off ... cut some little grooves in the top all the way across, about a 1/4" gaps in between (use a dremel) ... take that and cover up the little intake grate in the upper left hand corner of your tank.

It's a DIY surface skimmer and keep the water surface crystal clear. Works like a champ!

One thing you have to be careful of though is once evaporation kicks in the water doesn't evaporate in the display ... it will evaporate in the rear chambers and since your intake grate is covered no water will flow back into the rear. Hard to understand, but trust me it happens. you'll notice when you cover the grate the water level in your rear chambers drops a little and the main rises!

here's what your trying to make ...

Attachments

• skimmer_mod.jpg
    skimmer_mod.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 150
HAHAHA not bad for a 3min. Paint shop job huh? You get the idea though.

OR ...

there is a guy on nano-reef.com that makes something similar out of a different material on his mill machine. He sells them for $34 I believe, but he's kinda backed up and to me the FREE case works just as good.

Back
Top Bottom