M biocube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin-fishboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well everyone I finally got my tank goin! I filled it with about 10 gallons witch is weird cuz its a 14 gal. But my water is close to min but I figure it will be good once I add rock. But I put 4 cups of salt and letting it sit over night. I'm gonna check it tomorrow before I add sand. Am I on the right track?

Don't listen to him. Everything you're doing is good. Just make sure you have a hydrometer or refractometer to check the SG.

Thanks slitherbomb. I got my salt to 1.024. Is that ok? And should I add sand first then rock? Or rock then sand?

The salt is ok.

I would put in the sand first then put in the lr but some people prefer to put in the rock then the sand.

Just make sure to wash out the sand well so that the sand storm that is created with the sand is left to a minimum.

Put it in a bucket and use a hose or the faucet and let water run through it while stirring it up until the water coming out of the bucket is clear.

Isn't it bad to use faucet water? I have well water too. I might just cut the bag and lay the whole thing in there and slide out the bag leaving the sand.

If you used tap water that was treated with a dechlorinator then it's not bad. Just put some more before you put in the sand.

Sorry about my first comment. I apologize. U omitted so much info. I didn't know what u were doing. Sounds like u have a plan. Just don't rush the process like so many others do. Good luck!

On well water tap water is a bad idea as it contains so many unwanted minerals in massive quantities that are sure fire to cause issues down the road. I would highly recommend getting an rodi unit just don't expect the di cartridge to last long. Or buy distilled or ro water for it. Ps treating the well water with a declorinator would be next to pointless as well water usually dosent contain clorine. But well water will vary greatly

I agree with mike. An RO/DI is nice. But u should have ur well water tested for dissolved solids first, or it could end up costing u plenty on first stage filter cartridges.
Before I got my RO/DI, I used Distilled water from Wal-Mart. It's relatively cheap and works as well as anything. Just sort of a nuisance when ur filling your aquarium for the first time. ( lots of Gal. jugs ). Other then that, it's a great alternative to RO/DI water

Yep oops it is getting a we bit expensive and that after a softener and iron filter I only am getting about 1500 g before the tds sky rockets eek haven't check the supply tds though

Yep. And considering his Bio only holds about 10 actual Gal. of water. He'll have less than $10 for the initial fill up. Then less than a buck a week for water changes. If he goes with Wal- Mart distilled. That's not bad!

Don't pay to have an ro in that case just I need alot more water than that buddy is going to pay me make water for his 375g with 200g sump/ fuge and a stand alone 150g in fill than all maintenance water = lots of water

That's a lot of water. And u say ur TDS starts spiking after 1500 Gal.? Wow. That guy better keep u supplied with sediment filters! lol

No Kiddin. Sounds like u know what ur doing. Way over my head. Good luck

Dad regens a system that puts out 1000+ g an hour a couple times a month we just need the chemicals

Back
Top Bottom