Macroalgae near chicago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supfoo2005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to put some macroalgae in my 20g, but I don't know what type would be okay (as in not growing extremely fast, not hogging the light, etc.) to go IN the tank, considering I don't have a sump. I'm interested in this because of the nutrient consumption of the organism. I want to have at least a tiny bit of the benefits of macroalgae that some have in their refugiums. Please, any suggestions on what type or where to get it near the west suburbs of chicago would be fantastic. Gracias fellow reefers!!!

I'm curious as well. I was told I should use Caulpera in my 20 gal. They said it was great for my tank but I looked it up on various sites and it looks like it could become a major problem. I asked this ques on the Getting Started forum

Oh awesome. I think ill keep up with your thread too just so i can get some ideas from there, if they pop up.

Chaeto macro is what a lot of people use. May be the most popular. It grows in strands and is very easy to manage. Just pull some out if u get more than u need. If a loose strand gets out, it isn't hard to find in the tank. Mine does grow well. But that tells me it's doing it's job. Mine is kept in the center filter compartment, where the bioballs used to be in my bio14. I also keep a niteglo nano light on it. It's hooked to a timer so it turns on when my tank lights turn off

But chaetomorpha grows like a ball and floats around. it has no root like appendages to anchor it anywhere. I don't know about putting that in your display.
I would also use caulerpa because it had anchoring roots. Just keep it pruned and it will be fine.

He's right about that. If its going in ur display. Stay away fm this algae

Thanks you guys. Anyone know whereabouts i can get it near Chicago? I haven't seen it at any of the LFS's that I've gone to.

I've been in there. Beautiful store! The only problem i had when i went was service. Nobody would help! I think they were all prepping for an install.

Really? One of the things I like about that store is the customer service. They are usually really busy...but once it's your turn you have the guy for as long as it takes. I was just there today actually, those guys really know thier stuff and are willing to help as much as you need. You must have been on a bad day or something, but you should try it again lol like I said they are usually packed and busy but once you have a guy hes yours till your done!

Back
Top Bottom