Major EMERGENCY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have no idea what happened to our aquarium. We bought two clown fish and a small batch of polyps. My girlfriend said the tank was turning green and I was unable to come over until today. The polyps were dead and the tank is a very noticeable green and there is fungus growing on the rocks and in the sand of the tank. The clowns seem to be doing well and acting like they were before but I am really worried. What needs to be done?!

Attachments

• image-2528005352.jpg
    image-2528005352.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1890354646.jpg
    image-1890354646.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 100
Yes. Everything was done correctly and readings were perfect.

Following cause my tank looks worse LOL. Could use the suggestions too. Hope you don't mind.

Tested the water and the nitrites and nitrates are really high. We removed all of the live rock and washed the fungus off with hot water. Ran the net through the sane and collected the fungus and the ton of extra food. I think she had been hardcore over feeding since we only have two fish but that was probably my fault. Laid the said straight and are currently placing the rock back into the tank. Waiting for the sand to settle and the tank to clear and we will add to fish back in an hour or two. Water smelled terrible and all I can do is hope that the cycle continues and lowers the nitrite and nitrate levels. Otherwise we will have to start over from step 1.

Overfeeding will do that. That def sounds like the culprit. I wouldn't have washed the rocks though. In doing so youre getting rid of some of the bacteria that would be able to convert those nitrites. Seeing how you did wash them, keep a close eye on your ammonia after adding the fish. Nitrites can be deadly but ammonia will be a real headache. Do you have a clean up crew like snails or crabs? They will help out alot, incase there is ever a possability of overfeeding again.

We have a ton of snails but had three tons of food. It is looking better now and I'm just hoping there are no dead snails littering the sand with their shells. The water already looks better and only has a few pellets. Looking more clear/blue now though. Hoping it all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom