Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Question Mandarians in a nano

what size nano would i need for a clown and a mandarin and what would i need in the nano for them to do well?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No nano is good for a mandarin IMO, unfortunately the whole "eating prepared foods" deal isn't going very well for many. People try to train them and they die slowly from starvation, it's just sad. If you want one really badly I suggest getting a tank large enough to support one (say like 75G with at least 100lbs of LR) and for certain train it there then transfer it to your nano

Trust me on this I got into SW in hopes of getting a mandarin, they just can't survive in a small tank well

Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

Corey's right. 99% of mandarins just don't do well on prepared foods, they need live copepods to survive, and a small tank just isn't going to produce enough to sustain a mandarin.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Any size DT tank is fine for a mandarin!

Just add a 100 gallon plus sump in the basement with lots of LR, a DSB and a fuge area for the pods to grow.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

Haha, yeah you could also do what cmor said lol. All you need is a large and steady supply of microinverts to sustain the mandarins eating habits.

However, if you get lucky you can find one that eats prepared foods. I used to have a mandarin in my 25G that readily chowed down on frozen bloodworms. Certainly was an interesting fish with a great personality.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

When people talk about mandarins they always say they need a ton of pods and that a small tank wont supply enough for them. I've always wondered why don't people just have a separate tank with a lot of LR for growing pods? Or is it like impossible to transfer the pods over for feeding? I was just wondering lol
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksteel View Post
When people talk about mandarins they always say they need a ton of pods and that a small tank wont supply enough for them. I've always wondered why don't people just have a separate tank with a lot of LR for growing pods? Or is it like impossible to transfer the pods over for feeding? I was just wondering lol
This is basically the description of a sump/refugium.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I guess your right lol
Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

That was exactly what I said. The problem is that a mandarin forages for pods all the time and will eats hundreds per day. To sustain a population you need that 100+ gallon sump/fuge with lots of LR and some starter pods (detrivore kit).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

...and a way to keep a constant stream of those pods pouring into the nano from that giant sump/refugium. It's kind of a silly thing to do for such a small display tank, but I have actually thought about doing it with my 16g bowfront.

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com