Midas blenny in 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of adding A Midas blenny to my 29 gallon. I have a clown and six line already. Would he be okay? I would also like to add a royal gramma possibly? Too much?

I think a Midas would be OK in there.... you got plenty of rock for him to hide in in case he feels threatened? I've got a 28 cube with an ocellaris & six-line and was looking at adding one to my system as well......

If you do still want to add one, wait a while on the royal...... let the system adjust to the extra bioload for a little while, and let the fish adjust to each other. Since I have a lot of coral, I think 3 fish are going to be my limit, just can't really nail down what I want..... too many cool choices.

I can't say how a full grown midas will do in a 29 but my 3" long guy loves mine. I have an occ clown and a coral beauty. My midas swims a bit but spends most of his time hiding in his spot or perched on his other spot and sleeps in my veggie clip. They are very entertaining and I would recommend one any day. Make sure you have a good lid, I have seen mine hit the lid twice and I couldn't imagine loosing him. Here are some pics of mine.

image-2296972455.jpg
This is his hiding spot

image-2305115712.jpg
His usual spot

image-2489844453.jpg
And his bed

Thanks for the replies. I actually picked one up yesterday and added him to my QT for a couple of weeks. He is not the prettiest color now but have read that is normal and to be expected.

Yeah, they change colors all the time. When they are stressed they get brown and splotchy. It should yellow up shortly and be nice and pretty. Mine turns brown when he is startled or sleeping now but is yellow most of the time. Im excited for you, They are great fish. Do you have any pictures.

Here is a pic of the fellow. I have discovered the first couple of days of having a new fish isn't very glamourous. As far as I know, he stays by the filter intake tube, upside down, all day. He does go down to the bottom after lights are off. I have PVC pipe for him to hide but it may be too big, so I'm going to get smaller pipe when I run to town later. He sure doesn't mind eating however as he will gobble up mysis shrimp.

Oops, forgot the pic.

Attachments

• image-999771150.jpg
    image-999771150.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 133
They definitely are strange fish. That's why they are so great.

Here is a new pic. I went ahead and put him in my display. He was not happy in the QT. I know I took a gamble but put him in display anyways. What a difference it made. He is happy and swimming now. He has been harassing my six line but not not clown (which is the smaller of the two fish). It seems to have gotten better or he will go back to the store. Only thing is, he doesn't have the blue eyes that I can notice. He has every other sign of a Midas. Thinking it could be a canary??? Do they change color like a Midas. This one definitely looks like a Midas in my opinion. He is a new pic. Do canaries have the two "antenna" like structures above its nose?

Attachments

• image-4002550084.jpg
    image-4002550084.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 116
Looks like my blenny. I love her. Her name is Mini, and she is the show case of my 35 gallon. Glad your is happier now! Not sure what to tell you about the eyes.

That is definitely a midas. They have a different face than the canary. I'm glad he is happy.

Back
Top Bottom