Money in coral fragging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been seriously considering making a 10 gallon nano reef lately, and I know some of you have saltwater tanks. I've gained most of the basic reef knowledge, and I think I want to do it. I had a question though. Is there any money in coral fragging? I know I couldn't do much in a ten gallon, I'm thinking just some zoas for the most part. I have a bunch of freshwater planted, in which I sell plants, fish, etc. The extra money is nice when it comes to being a teenager, even though it'll probably never cover how much I've put into the hobby. So anyways, just wondering if I could get some money out of a small reef as I do in planted tanks.

Depends. It really helps if you have a local reef forum b/c local reefers sell corals half the price what most LFS sell them for around here. Lots of trading too. But it's the self control man! The money that you earn from fragging goes right back to the tank! :lol: You'll see :wink:.

Also depends on what your area/state likes. Some are more into sps, more into zoas, etc. So more money for what's wanted obviously. Getting rare things that can grow fast (say rastas, sunny D's, other high end zoas) are great b/c they can be sold quickly. Too rare/expensive and you get less customers. Corals like xenia and gsp people give out for free on my reef forum b/c it's so common and not worth much. So going with the high end, but not too high end is just perfect. That's where you'd get the most money instead of the common, staple corals.

Thanks for the great advice! I'm not sure what is popular in aurora, but I'll ask lfs employees and maybe join a forum. As far as starting up the tank , I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. Does 20 lbs of rock, 20 lbs of sand, and a t5 fixture with 4 bulbs. Does that sound good? For filtration probably a HOB.

Another question, what order should I add stuff to the tank? I'm going to get aragonite sand, dry live rock, and a few pieces of live rock to seed the dry. I know in a planted aquarium you can add rocks, driftwood, sand, plants, etc before the tank cycles, and then fish/inverts come after. But what about saltwater? Can I add all the live rock before the tank is cycled? I know I can add the dry rock and sand, but won't the living organisms on the live pieces die and end up rotting in the tank? Should corals go in before fish after the cycle has completed? Are corals like fish in that they should be added slowly? The stock for this tank will probably be something like one goby, fire fish, or other small fish, and some shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. Sound like too much? Also, is the 4 bulb t5 fixture good? Does it offer enough light for most button polyps, zoas, etc? Sorry for all if the questions, you can probably tell I'm a freshwater guy.

If the t5 fixture is a total of 96watts it's more tan enough you usually want 2-3 watts per gallon.

Would a two bulb t5 fixture be better? I know it would be better for my wallet...

Another question, what order should I add stuff to the tank? I'm going to get aragonite sand, dry live rock, and a few pieces of live rock to seed the dry. I know in a planted aquarium you can add rocks, driftwood, sand, plants, etc before the tank cycles, and then fish/inverts come after. But what about saltwater? Can I add all the live rock before the tank is cycled? I know I can add the dry rock and sand, but won't the living organisms on the live pieces die and end up rotting in the tank? Should corals go in before fish after the cycle has completed? Are corals like fish in that they should be added slowly? The stock for this tank will probably be something like one goby, fire fish, or other small fish, and some shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. Sound like too much? Also, is the 4 bulb t5 fixture good? Does it offer enough light for most button polyps, zoas, etc? Sorry for all if the questions, you can probably tell I'm a freshwater guy.

If you want a frag tank setup, then make different eggcrate tiers (or just one level depending on the coral) is best. You have maximum room for coral on frag plugs. It's easier, cleaner w/out the sand. You can have some rock if you like, but frag tanks are usually clean and use eggcrate as shelves for the frags. For a 10 gallon tank, that should be enough for even SPS I believe. Dimmable LEDs might be better for photoacclimating and how blue LEDs can be (brings out the coral fluorescence which is more attractive to the eye ergo easier sale).

Found the one I was looking for on ebay. Lots of people recommend this and it should be the same price as the T5HO fixture. I use a LED fixture (don't know the brand) that looks just like this and works fine for all corals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dimmabl...242&pid=100034&prg=1079&rk=1&sd=270813908340&

Thank you very much for the ideas! I think this is an excuse for 2 tanks... I really want a reef looking setup with all of the inverts and rock. But I also like the fragging part of saltwater. What if I made a reef tank, and then a tank with those plexiglass frag holders. They are clear so I could put them under eachother. The pretty reef tank could go in my room and the frag tank can go in the fish room. Does this sound like a good plan? The frag tank will probably come a little while after the reef tank. Once it's established and all. And I like the dimmable LEDs. Might have to do that instead of a t5 fixture.

What if I got a t5 system, from what I've seen they are a lot cheaper, and then put some blue led strips to make the colors come out more?

No problem. I wish I could set up a frag tank, but it's pretty costly. Soon. Soon it shall happen.

It's going to be crowded with a frag rack and all that rock and sand. Hey..I don't know..maybe..30 gallon?! :wink: In all seriousness though, you can do the whole setup with rock and sand and have a little frag rack.

Something like that:
Eshopps Corner Frag Rack 13 Hole - Black

Or make your own out of eggcrate.
Ricket's Reef - DIY Hang On Frag Rack - YouTube

The reason why frag tanks don't usually have sand and rock is to keep it clean. Some corals (sps especially) do better (grow faster) in cleaner water.

I was saying 2 tens, one as a reef and one with frag racks. I just retread the post and I can see where that got mixed up. Also I posted an edit about lights. Does that setup look good?

Thank you very much for the ideas! I think this is an excuse for 2 tanks... I really want a reef looking setup with all of the inverts and rock. But I also like the fragging part of saltwater. What if I made a reef tank, and then a tank with those plexiglass frag holders. They are clear so I could put them under eachother. The pretty reef tank could go in my room and the frag tank can go in the fish room. Does this sound like a good plan? The frag tank will probably come a little while after the reef tank. Once it's established and all. And I like the dimmable LEDs. Might have to do that instead of a t5 fixture.

What if I got a t5 system, from what I've seen they are a lot cheaper, and then put some blue led strips to make the colors come out more?

Oh alright yeah. Got it. It was clear before...probably wasn't paying all my attention. What T5 system are you looking at? That would definitely work.

Oh alright yeah. Got it. It was clear before...probably wasn't paying all my attention. What T5 system are you looking at? That would definitely work.

I'm looking at the nova dual t5 18" on pet mountain. I think it's cheaper on amazon though. Not sure on the led strips though. I'm thinking one under the front trim and one under the back trim. Maybe the ends too but I'm not sure yet. Besides RO water and salt mix, what else do I Need to add to the water? Like do I need to add calcium or anything like that? And I use RO water in all of my freshwater tanks so I already have a unit :D

Oh just a dual lamp? That will be good for soft corals. What type are you wanting? Get the light first and see if you want it more blue, then get blue LEDs for supplemental lighting.

If you're using a good reef salt mix, it should have that all mixed in it. Regular water changes should replenish the elements. You'd need to dose if you didn't do water changes often or had a ton of corals hogging it all up. Course check with a test kit to know how much if any to add. Oh good for you :D

I'll most likely do 50% weekly like I do with my other tanks. Do I need a protein skimmer? I have one, I don't know why but I do. It was on my parents 46 gallon FOWLER a long long time ago. I think it might be a bit big. I also have 2 power heads, not sure gph, but would 2 be good for a 10 gallon, or is that too much?

Well you don't want to change too much unless you need to. After your cycle finishes you should do a 50% water change, but after 10-20% weekly is a good rule of thumb. Got to find the balance and keep the corals happy.

Oh ok. I just assumed more is better as it is in freshwater. The plants love a big water change ;) I can't wait to get this started. Should I add my dry rock and sand, cycle the aquarium, then add some live rock to seed the dry rock? After the cycle the dry rock will probably get some stuff on it but I think I should add some live to really get the coralline going and whatever else grows on live rock.

Oh ok. I just assumed more is better as it is in freshwater. The plants love a big water change ;) I can't wait to get this started. Should I add my dry rock and sand, cycle the aquarium, then add some live rock to seed the dry rock? After the cycle the dry rock will probably get some stuff on it but I think I should add some live to really get the coralline going and whatever else grows on live rock.

Assumptions!

Anyway.

Pretty sure you add the LR during the cycle. Don't trust me on that. Hopefully someone steps in and verifies/fixes my potential error. Or you could google it. Be patient with the coralline. Took a while for me, but it varies in different environments.

Ah the Odysseas. Yeah, that works too. Those get HOT though. I have one for my FW which grows my plants well, but it gets very hot. I say, research it a bit, and maybe try it :)

Back
Top Bottom