Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Money in coral fragging

I've been seriously considering making a 10 gallon nano reef lately, and I know some of you have saltwater tanks. I've gained most of the basic reef knowledge, and I think I want to do it. I had a question though. Is there any money in coral fragging? I know I couldn't do much in a ten gallon, I'm thinking just some zoas for the most part. I have a bunch of freshwater planted, in which I sell plants, fish, etc. The extra money is nice when it comes to being a teenager, even though it'll probably never cover how much I've put into the hobby. So anyways, just wondering if I could get some money out of a small reef as I do in planted tanks.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends. It really helps if you have a local reef forum b/c local reefers sell corals half the price what most LFS sell them for around here. Lots of trading too. But it's the self control man! The money that you earn from fragging goes right back to the tank! You'll see .

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also depends on what your area/state likes. Some are more into sps, more into zoas, etc. So more money for what's wanted obviously. Getting rare things that can grow fast (say rastas, sunny D's, other high end zoas) are great b/c they can be sold quickly. Too rare/expensive and you get less customers. Corals like xenia and gsp people give out for free on my reef forum b/c it's so common and not worth much. So going with the high end, but not too high end is just perfect. That's where you'd get the most money instead of the common, staple corals.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the great advice! I'm not sure what is popular in aurora, but I'll ask lfs employees and maybe join a forum. As far as starting up the tank , I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. Does 20 lbs of rock, 20 lbs of sand, and a t5 fixture with 4 bulbs. Does that sound good? For filtration probably a HOB.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another question, what order should I add stuff to the tank? I'm going to get aragonite sand, dry live rock, and a few pieces of live rock to seed the dry. I know in a planted aquarium you can add rocks, driftwood, sand, plants, etc before the tank cycles, and then fish/inverts come after. But what about saltwater? Can I add all the live rock before the tank is cycled? I know I can add the dry rock and sand, but won't the living organisms on the live pieces die and end up rotting in the tank? Should corals go in before fish after the cycle has completed? Are corals like fish in that they should be added slowly? The stock for this tank will probably be something like one goby, fire fish, or other small fish, and some shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. Sound like too much? Also, is the 4 bulb t5 fixture good? Does it offer enough light for most button polyps, zoas, etc? Sorry for all if the questions, you can probably tell I'm a freshwater guy.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the t5 fixture is a total of 96watts it's more tan enough you usually want 2-3 watts per gallon.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would a two bulb t5 fixture be better? I know it would be better for my wallet...
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxw47 View Post
Another question, what order should I add stuff to the tank? I'm going to get aragonite sand, dry live rock, and a few pieces of live rock to seed the dry. I know in a planted aquarium you can add rocks, driftwood, sand, plants, etc before the tank cycles, and then fish/inverts come after. But what about saltwater? Can I add all the live rock before the tank is cycled? I know I can add the dry rock and sand, but won't the living organisms on the live pieces die and end up rotting in the tank? Should corals go in before fish after the cycle has completed? Are corals like fish in that they should be added slowly? The stock for this tank will probably be something like one goby, fire fish, or other small fish, and some shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. Sound like too much? Also, is the 4 bulb t5 fixture good? Does it offer enough light for most button polyps, zoas, etc? Sorry for all if the questions, you can probably tell I'm a freshwater guy.
If you want a frag tank setup, then make different eggcrate tiers (or just one level depending on the coral) is best. You have maximum room for coral on frag plugs. It's easier, cleaner w/out the sand. You can have some rock if you like, but frag tanks are usually clean and use eggcrate as shelves for the frags. For a 10 gallon tank, that should be enough for even SPS I believe. Dimmable LEDs might be better for photoacclimating and how blue LEDs can be (brings out the coral fluorescence which is more attractive to the eye ergo easier sale).

Found the one I was looking for on ebay. Lots of people recommend this and it should be the same price as the T5HO fixture. I use a LED fixture (don't know the brand) that looks just like this and works fine for all corals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dimmable...70813908340%26

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you very much for the ideas! I think this is an excuse for 2 tanks... I really want a reef looking setup with all of the inverts and rock. But I also like the fragging part of saltwater. What if I made a reef tank, and then a tank with those plexiglass frag holders. They are clear so I could put them under eachother. The pretty reef tank could go in my room and the frag tank can go in the fish room. Does this sound like a good plan? The frag tank will probably come a little while after the reef tank. Once it's established and all. And I like the dimmable LEDs. Might have to do that instead of a t5 fixture.

What if I got a t5 system, from what I've seen they are a lot cheaper, and then put some blue led strips to make the colors come out more?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem. I wish I could set up a frag tank, but it's pretty costly. Soon. Soon it shall happen.

It's going to be crowded with a frag rack and all that rock and sand. Hey..I don't know..maybe..30 gallon?! In all seriousness though, you can do the whole setup with rock and sand and have a little frag rack.

Something like that:
Eshopps Corner Frag Rack 13 Hole - Black

Or make your own out of eggcrate.
Ricket's Reef - DIY Hang On Frag Rack - YouTube

The reason why frag tanks don't usually have sand and rock is to keep it clean. Some corals (sps especially) do better (grow faster) in cleaner water.

- Winston Churchill

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com