More lighting for a 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nah, i found out that those LED's won't do squat for coral lol. They're basically just for show in smaller tanks.

I'm thinking about just going with an 18" T5 fixture.. and then modifying the legs to stretch out an inch more on each side to reach the sides of my tank. Since my tank is a 20".. i figure instead of having light hangoff with a 24" fixture, i could just have a shorter fixture by only 2 inches. I don't really think it will effect growth that much, but im still waiting for an expert to let me know if that's a good idea or not. All in all.. i honestly don't feel like spending 250-300$ on lighting for a 10G tank.. if i wanted to spend that much, i might as well get a larger tank and then get a larger light fixture for the same amount of money.. -__-

Not entirely sure yet, but it's more or less DIY. I like the light fixture, but i just have to make some adjustments.

I'm not really sure.. I want mushrooms, LPS, SPS, softies, zoos and coral such as those.. so i think for all of those i may need a stronger light than 40W. Plus, i really decided to go against PC lighting because i have to change them every 6 months, and they're alot more $$ than T5, which only need to be changed around the 8 or 9 month mark... maybe even longer from what i've been reading. Depends on the bulbs, but PC doesn't look like an option for me right now..

Great article A1. Glad you posted it. Another thing to read and kill time at school.

Overall, i think i'll be going with the 18" T5 fixture. This will support the coral i want, and will be cheaper in the long run for me. I plan to get better lighting for more coral selection once i upgrade my tank size. The next size tank i get will be a 40 breeder, so in a year or so when the time comes, ill upgrade the tank and the lighting. But for now i can suffice with softies, and some low-light LPS.

Zer0
I answered ya on the nanoreefing.com ;) I only change out my PC lighting annually that is it ... I have had no issues with that schedule ...
You can get the one you linked to and still keep a wide varity of corals ...
I have run the PC lighting for 5 years and have had no issues with it other than needing to replace the frapping fans occasionally :)

Hey sadie! Yeah i read the reply, i'm just having mixed emotions about the PC lights. I see that they work very well for you, but you never know when it could go south for another person.. :/

I haven't totally eliminated the PC lights from my choices though.. because at this point in time, im not even sure which ones i want to buy haha. :D

Ah.. the choosing of lights.. what a hassle.. -_-

Btw, the current usa T5 fixture i linked to is 2x20W.. is that the one you said would still give me a nice range of coral?

I know what you mean they are a decent entry level light I just kept them .. :p

That's a good point.. I wouldn't really be keeping them that long anyways, because i want to upgrade the tank size in the next year or two, when i have the money to buy the stand for the tank. I'm sick of having makeshift furniture to use as a stand.. XD As of now.. i could buy the 40G breeder.. but no place to keep it.. :(

Well, i'm not sure yet, but i may go with the 2x20W T5 fixture.. only because in the long run it's cheaper. And at this point in time, that's what counts the most for me. However, i may get the PC lights.. gah.. idk. I need to think hard on this one.. :D

Yeah, same fixture. I ordered it from saltysupply.com along with a couple other items.

Back
Top Bottom