Moving stuff to 10 gallon... Nervous questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
LFS is having a sale that will end up about 45% off live rock and everything else, starting this weekend. Timing is kind of perfect, I want to move everything from my 5 gallon over to a ten gallon, and cheap good live rock is awesome. Question is, can I move everything from the 5 gallon to the 10 now, using the sand and same water from my 5, and with the same amount of rock, no filter, and 110gph pump, not kill everything in my tank before I get a hang on back filter ( more water flow) and the correct amount of live rock? I want to be able to drop everything in on Saturday when I get it.

Everything should be fine except the sand you should buy new dry sand and just add a spall amount of your existing live sand to seed it. If you were to use your existing sand it will stir it up and cause a cycle.

ive got 15 lbs of new sand, i will do that for sure. just a little you got it. if i o a add everything from my 5 into a ten though will the extra water be too much for the existing biofilter, despite changing nothing else? if only for the week?

You would be fine changing all the water just don't let the filter dry during the change over. I'm not much of a fan of bio filters your live rock should be your bio filter not some nasty mesh of plastic.

No that's what I meant, the "bio filter" of my current 5 lbs of live rock. I don't currently have a filter of any kind. I want a hob to supplement my 110gph pump, break up surface tension.

Back
Top Bottom