MP10 worth it? And how many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I fell into a few bucks and have always been eyeing up the MP10. I have a BC29 with 2 Koralia 425's. Is it worth switching to the MP10? And do I need 2 to make some nice wave effects and random flow or is one good enough?

Also where would be the best place for it. In use to the Koralia pumps where you can adjust and aim. The MP10 I notice is just straight forward.

Any input? I was thinking 1 on each side with a nice random flow.

I have my Koralia pumps hooked up to the Hydor smart wave and set to alternate every hour but the MP10 I can have a wide wide range of options. And of course the 2 power heads and smart wave would probably make it to he classifieds :)

You dont need 2. I have 1 on my 29g standard. It doesnt push water like a normal powerhead it actually move the whole water volume through an undertow effect. I run a mixed reef and the mp10 is all the flow needed. Note its a 30" tank.

In my opinion they are well worth it. But 2 woukd be serious overkill in a 29 cube in my opinion. Unless you want to run them both at half speed or less. If you wanna to use the extra cash buy a controller as well. A controller and an vortech are 2 awesome and beneficial purchases if you ask me.

Done! Bought 1 MP10 with whatever controller it comes with.

Now I'll see first hand the difference between 1 MP10 and 2 Koralia 425's.

Worth it. :D

I consider them more of a wavemaker with loads of options for currents and random water movement.

Convict2161 said:
Done! Bought 1 MP10 with whatever controller it comes with.

Gratz but just so you know by controller i meant an apex or reefkeeper. Have fun playing with new MP10, if you dont love it then something is wrong with you lol.

Schism said:
Gratz but just so you know by controller i meant an apex or reefkeeper. Have fun playing with new MP10, if you dont love it then something is wrong with you lol.

Yeah I figured that about the controller lol. And something wrong with me? Nah... I only spend CRAZY amounts of money on my tanks and endless hours on cleaning and maintaining them. Only you fellow hobbyist would understand. My wife? Yeah... She thinks I'm crazy! She's like you spent how much for what?! you bought a fan that goes underwater? lol... I busted out laughing. I said yeah... I bought a fan for the fish :)

Also I've been watching videos and reading. It seems from I've read and watched that the MP10 move the whole body of water as a posed to a area of water like the koralia am I correct in this?

I was worrying about dead spots but the guys at BRS claim that should be a problem since the whole body of water will have movement seems to make sense. Videos are wild. They also said less heat? Because the magnet is outside as well as the cord. True?

I will say BRS was very very helpful and spent a lot of time with me on the phone answering all my questions making me confident about my purchase. The wife? Not so much.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Yeah I figured that about the controller lol. And something wrong with me? Nah... I only spend CRAZY amounts of money on my tanks and endless hours on cleaning and maintaining them. Only you fellow hobbyist would understand. My wife? Yeah... She thinks I'm crazy! She's like you spent how much for what?! you bought a fan that goes underwater? lol... I busted out laughing. I said yeah... I bought a fan for the fish :)

Also I've been watching videos and reading. It seems from I've read and watched that the MP10 move the whole body of water as a posed to a area of water like the koralia am I correct in this?

I was worrying about dead spots but the guys at BRS claim that should be a problem since the whole body of water will have movement seems to make sense. Videos are wild. They also said less heat? Because the magnet is outside as well as the cord. True?

I will say BRS was very very helpful and spent a lot of time with me on the phone answering all my questions making me confident about my purchase. The wife? Not so much.

I feel ya man my wife is the same way. Every time the air kicks on all day because of the tank or when she cant spray air freshner in the living room she gets cranky. And i dont know how many times ive heard that i love my fish tanks more than her. I said well if you were underwater id probably like you better. I slept on the couch a few nights for that one lol.

And yea that is true about the mp10's once you get yours in the tank and turn it on full blast you will see lots of stuff kick up and you will realize why these pumps are loved. You wont have any dead spots. The whole volume of water moves, nothing like what a normal powerhead will do. And yes since the pump is not in the water heating it up it will have a slight impact at keeping your tank a bit cooler.

Hope that helps

The 1 MP10 will be more than enough for your cube. I had one on my 28g cube for quite awhile and it was great! I'm now doing some in home experimenting with different setups to see what difference it makes.

I placed mine about 1/3 of the way down from the top, in the middle of the left side (although it doesn't matter which side) and I had great results! The undertow it creates is unbelievable! You're going to have fun playing around with all the modes, there are so many options!

Take a moment and download the instruction manual for it, as the online manual had more info and secondary mode instructions such as nigh time mode, feeding mode, and auto tuning for the standing wave. I was disappointed that the manual it came with left these out...

Qube said:
The 1 MP10 will be more than enough for your cube. I had one on my 28g cube for quite awhile and it was great! I'm now doing some in home experimenting with different setups to see what difference it makes.

I placed mine about 1/3 of the way down from the top, in the middle of the left side (although it doesn't matter which side) and I had great results! The undertow it creates is unbelievable! You're going to have fun playing around with all the modes, there are so many options!

Take a moment and download the instruction manual for it, as the online manual had more info and secondary mode instructions such as nigh time mode, feeding mode, and auto tuning for the standing wave. I was disappointed that the manual it came with left these out...

Cool thanks for the info. I also was thinking left side same placement as you and see how it works. I don't want it on the right. Can't wait. It comes tomorrow. WHOO HOO!!

Convict2161 said:
Cool thanks for the info. I also was thinking left side same placement as you and see how it works. I don't want it on the right. Can't wait. It comes tomorrow. WHOO HOO!!

Haha man i better be able to surf the waves you make in your tank :D that thing is gunna be sweet!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha man i better be able to surf the waves you make in your tank :D that thing is gunna be sweet!

Haha you know it! Stay tune for a new YouTube video soon lol.

Convict2161 said:
Well UPS never showed up today :(

They said today... Hopefully tomorrow.

Did you get a pair of MP10? I was shopping around most of the e-tailer are the same price, do you know where can I get a good deal or where you got your MP10?

cfcheong said:
Did you get a pair of MP10? I was shopping around most of the e-tailer are the same price, do you know where can I get a good deal or where you got your MP10?

Cheapest you will usually fine them is about 175 on ebay and craigslist. Even used they still fetch most of their value.

I bought 1 MP10 I just went for broke and got from BRS. Can't wait for tomorrow. I feel like its Xmas eve!

I bought 1 MP10 I just went for broke and got from BRS. Can't wait for tomorrow. I feel like its Xmas eve!
haha I know that feel bro, btw did you join the BRS group buy? But I am not sure if the discount applies toward the MP power heads.

cfcheong said:
haha I know that feel bro, btw did you join the BRS group buy? But I am not sure if the discount applies toward the MP power heads.

I missed the last one but they said I'm in there system whatever that means...

It's was expensive but I'm hoping I'll be happy with it. Can't wait to post my review, pics and video so If your interested stick around.

Back
Top Bottom