My 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so everything I need for my 10 gallon nano should be delivered by tomorrow with the exception of the live rock. I figured what I would do, since money is a little tight, is go with dry live rock from BRF since they have it for 2.99 a pound and then get one pound of actual live rock from a LFS where I work to seed the dry rock. So far I got.....

• 10g tank
  • Submersible heater
  • LED lights
  • Hydrometer
  • Salt
  • Thermometer
  • Hang on Protein Skimmer (Just in case I need it)
  • HOB Aquaclear Power Filter
  • Acclimation system
  • Live Sand 20 pounds

Today I filled the tank to do a leak check, figured if I let it go until the rest of my stuff comes in that will give plenty of time to make sure all is ok with it.

Once I start the cycling process I will be using a frozen shrimp to do that, but I have a question....or two. While the cycling process is going on should the lights be left on? If so should I just leave the whites on or go with the blue? Also, would a HO refugium be beneficial or really not needed?

Also need some opinions...I know full of questions lol. since this is such a small tank I want to be careful with the bio-load on it when I start to add livestock. What I was looking at adding once the cycling is done is.....

• Goby x 1
  • Sexy Shrimp x 2
  • Porcelain Crab x 2
  • Hermit Crab x 1
  • Astrea Snails x 2
  • Few soft Corals
  • Few LPS Corals
  • Tube worms 1 or 2

Is this too much? If so what would you suggest out of this list that would work?

Also, as I start setting things up I will post pics of the process too. Everyone has been such a HUGE help since I have joined and just want to share the progress :) .

List looks good. The only thing I would say is to up the number of sexy shrimp. Dont ask me why, but from what I have read and heard they do better in odd numbers. lol
The only other thing might be to get a refractometer isntead of the hydrometer, much more accurate, easier to do and only about $20-$30 bucks. Check amazon and erbay.

List looks good. The only thing I would say is to up the number of sexy shrimp. Dont ask me why, but from what I have read and heard they do better in odd numbers. lol
The only other thing might be to get a refractometer isntead of the hydrometer, much more accurate, easier to do and only about $20-$30 bucks. Check amazon and erbay.

+1. Sexies do indeed prefer odd numbers and the more of them you have the more you see them. Also a refractometer is a must IMHO, the hydrometers are terribly inaccurate. Leave the lights off for your cycle, it will reduce your diatom bloom. A hob fuge is kind of pointless IMO, the size of them limits there effectiveness, and in a 10 large % wc's will be your best source of nutrient export in an emergency and a couple gallons weekly change will keep your levels stable and safe. Your stock list looks fine as long as you space out the additions so your bio filter can catch up.

Edit: only thing I don't see on your equipment list is a power head, if you haven't purchased one a k-nano 240 would be perfect for you

Carey, BigRed

Thank you for the information. I had no idea about the hydrometer! I will return it and get the refractometer instead. :)

I had heard the same thing about the sexy shrimp but was unsure of the bio-load with the list so didn't want to overdo it lol. I will change that to 3 instead now. I will be spacing them out of course maybe a month in between each addition...last thing I want is any fatalities!

Thanks for mentioning the power head BigRed, I had completely forgotten about that and now that I think about it I forgot the test kit to lol. As far as the K-Nano 240, does it plug directly into a power outlet or does it have to be plugged into a control system?

So, just checked my tank to see how the leak test was going.....

Within the past hour and a half I have lost over 5 gallons due to a leak :facepalm:

So back to the store tomorrow....guess better to find out now rather than later, uuuggghhhh!

So, just checked my tank to see how the leak test was going.....

Within the past hour and a half I have lost over 5 gallons due to a leak :facepalm:

So back to the store tomorrow....guess better to find out now rather than later, uuuggghhhh!

Sorry about your leak... Such a pain. Btw, 99% of powerheads plug directly into a wall, so no "control system" needed. Looking forward to this build!

Thanks Dingus :) Wasn't sure and didn't want to get one and then find out I need a control system lol.

All will be good with the tank, just a minor set back :)

Sorry about your leak. That sucks. I have almost no experience but it sounds like we are planning/creating similar tanks. Excited to see your pics.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry about your leak. That sucks. I have almost no experience but it sounds like we are planning/creating similar tanks. Excited to see your pics.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Helios :) I'll pick up another one tomorrow and start the test again. And yes, it does seem we are both on the same path here lol. I will definitely post some picks once I get things going.

Have you posted any yet?

I noticed your other thread but so many other people responded I just decided to wait for your build thread. So, hey, haha. I'll be following along, your bioload is definitely in check.

I noticed your other thread but so many other people responded I just decided to wait for your build thread. So, hey, haha. I'll be following along, your bioload is definitely in check.

Thanks Macscale :) Looking forward to getting the setup started. I got up early and wen to get the new aquarium to do the leak test....so far all is looking great on that end, will see when morning comes though lol.

Lights filter, salt and a couple other things should be here today. Waiting patiently :angel:

Ok, so far so good with the leak test all is holding great! Just got my package in with my filter and salt and now waiting on the other with my lighting.

Getting ready to order my dry live rock, found a good deal on some at Amazon.com and a k-nano 240 for extra circulation, will then stop by my LFS to get a piece of real live rock to seed it once the dry arrives. Would buy it all from theme but they charge 10.00 a pound :eek:

Off to place the filter and heater where I want them :)

I payed $8 a pound and got like 12 pounds. It cycled very fast(not a guarantee). If I were you I would go with all live. That's expensive though. You can order live online too I think. Anyways that's just my opinion. Good luck! I'll be following along

I payed $8 a pound and got like 12 pounds. It cycled very fast(not a guarantee). If I were you I would go with all live. That's expensive though. You can order live online too I think. Anyways that's just my opinion. Good luck! I'll be following along

Thanks 10gal, I am looking online now to see what I can fine on other sites. Some of the ones I have looked at have minimums of 15 pounds or more...don't need that much, but will keep looking. Would prefer to go with all live :)

It doesn't matter, dry rock is just live rock that's been out of water. I start all my tanks with dry rock and use a small piece of cured LR to seed. Any LR you order online will essentially be dry rock by the time it gets to you anyway as any bb on it will most likely not survive the shipping. JMO

It doesn't matter, dry rock is just live rock that's been out of water. I start all my tanks with dry rock and use a small piece of cured LR to seed. Any LR you order online will essentially be dry rock by the time it gets to you anyway as any bb on it will most likely not survive the shipping. JMO

Awesome point Red, never thought about that before. Cool, will go with my original plan then and get it ordered then (y)

Woo hoo! Lights came in today, now all I need to do is wait for the dry rock which should be here this time next week and a piece of live rock to seed it.

Was wondering though, if I pick up the piece of live rock tomorrow, would I be able to start the setup and then just add the dry rock and power head when they come in next week?

Woo hoo! Lights came in today, now all I need to do is wait for the dry rock which should be here this time next week and a piece of live rock to seed it.

Was wondering though, if I pick up the piece of live rock tomorrow, would I be able to start the setup and then just add the dry rock and power head when they come in next week?

I would think so.

Back
Top Bottom