My 14g Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomingstring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started my first reef tank. I'm on week 3 and am planning to add a few more live rock and maybe a fish in the weeks to come. I plan to start up a media basket to replace the bio balls this week. If anyone has any input or food for thought, it would be much appreciated. Thanks and expect to see more photos in the coming weeks.

image-2804544025.jpg

image-3742450499.jpg

Just wanted to wish you good luck! It looks like you might need more live rock. IMO. I love my biocube. Be careful though, it's addictive.

Just started mine as well. Is yours done with the cycle yet cause I notice you have snails in there. Just curious as to how long you have had them and what kind. Looks good to start though

I waited about 2 weeks, my LFS told me when I start to see algae growing I could add a clean up crew. I added 4 hermits, 2 turbo snails, and a fire shrimp. It's been a week since I added them and they seem to be doing fine.
The snails are pretty cool to watch cruise along grazing and the hermits have already switched shells a few times. Hoping to add a fish in a week or two. Just gotta save up for while.

I just added a small damsel the other day and was wondering how often to feed it. I've read different answers online but was wondering if my method was ok. I feed it a small amount hikari pellets in the morning and evening. Only an amount that gets eaten in about a minute.

My damsel was found dead this morning. I suspect it happened after changing the biocube filter to a chemipure and some filter floss. Perhaps I need to add a few more pieces of live rock. Not sure at this point. I probably wont add anymore livestock til after I replace the bioballs with a media rack I'm building.

Boomingstring said:
My damsel was found dead this morning. I suspect it happened after changing the biocube filter to a chemipure and some filter floss. Perhaps I need to add a few more pieces of live rock. Not sure at this point. I probably wont add anymore livestock til after I replace the bioballs with a media rack I'm building.

I'd be willing to guess your not cycled. What is your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and salinity?

I'm guessing ur gonna continue to have dead fish unless u take the time to do things right

Agree on ex and crabs. New tank needs to be fully cycle before adding any livestock even just cuc. It usually take at least a month to cycle or less if u put cured liverocks.

Adding a damsel and a chromis was an old method of cycling and is not practiced anymore due to the stress that the poor fish is put through. Please don't add anything before your tank is cycled... These creatures are relying on us to care for them... Add a dead shrimp to the tank to get the ammonia in the tank going and then just be patient and keep monitoring your water chemistry.

My levels are all good and my salinity is at a steady 1.024-1.025. Maybe I put the tank thru a small cycle because the tank has been running for just shy of two months. I'm just gunna take it slow and watch what happens.

Could the fish you got have been sickly...? Does your LFS have a quarantine process before they sell the fish...?

That I don't know. If they do then they hide the quarantine tanks pretty well. It's a reputable local store of 30 years. It's hard to say.

From your post on the 19th saying that you were in the 3rd week, that would put you in the 5th week right now. That is waaaay shy of 2 months. What exactly are your readings for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? We need more than "my levels are all good" if you want us to be able to help you.

Finally posted again on the thread. Just bought some more live rock from a friend and bought a few coral frags from a neighbor of mine.

2 devils hand
Some kind of mushroom
And kenya tree I believe (not really sure)

They all seem to be doing well and have grown quite a bit in the last 3 weeks.

I was about to take a picture but the lights on my tank just shut off a while ago and the corals have shut up.
Heres a pic taken right after moving all the new stuff in.(it's no the greatest, but I'll post some more tomorrow)

Attachments

• image-3410320022.jpg
    image-3410320022.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 97
image-1120744266.jpg

Here's some photos I took today

Attachments

• image-3585589525.jpg
    image-3585589525.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1451425134.jpg
    image-1451425134.jpg