My 25 Gallon Reef Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't made a thread yet in the nano tank section because believe it or not I didn't even realize this forum existed. My tank is about 2 months old and I am battling a little bacteria/algae bloom on my sand bed of some red algae and I'm having a green hair algae break out as well. I think it could be from my pistol shrimp constantly digging, I have also cut back feeding to every other day.

Equipment:
300 Watt Fluval heater
Aquaclear 70 Filter converted into a fuge
Korilia 750
Coralife 4bulb T5HO with Moon Lights
Reef Octopus BH-1000

Stock:
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
2x Osc Clowns
Royal Gramma Basslet
Scooter Blenny
Yellow Watchman/Tiger Pistol Pair
Banded Long spin Urchin
Banded Serpent Starfish
1 Emerald Crab
12 Nassarias Snails
6 Nerite Snails
5 Dwarf Hermits
18 Different Corals

The Tank is very peaceful now that everyone has settled down. I made the mistake of my first fish being clowns and they didnt take very kindly to anyone entering their home other then the blenny. The past week or so they fighting has stoped and the other fish have better color and all the fish use the whole tank now instead of all the fish being in the right hand side of the tank.

I have 4 ATI bulbs on the way for my t5 I got a Coral+,Blue+,Purple+,Blue+ I think this will give me great color and better par for my corals then my current stock bulbs from coralife. If anyone has Ideas as to solutions other then what i am doing to cure my algae problems feel free to suggest.

Heres the tank and corals
img_1780081_0_3d053033390c6417a98436d3794a6570.jpg

img_1780081_1_d582f7f6c26405211eadfb130b657fa3.jpg
img_1780081_2_d58927027d4b7925b6f5ca6b37ddca98.jpg
img_1780081_3_3a3904d36c34ec9a0cd1919d8d4f0029.jpg

img_1780081_4_79ea4cbddf7c9821e952eb7348645695.jpg

Heres a Picture of my duncan that has 3 new heads splitting off. in the bottom corner is a red coral that is recovering from a peppermint shrimp attack
img_1780081_5_121e4420c344c17a3899b2b0dd5f03d8.jpg

Skimmer and Fuge, I use a light from a 2.5 gallon tank light for the fuge and seems to work well.
img_1780093_0_889be3455e7e0c27a2cc49b05e7b0c4e.jpg
img_1780093_1_fae7c2e144a1eec3e5c35ab454907b38.jpg

Very impressive! Looks really good, even with the cyano. lol

You managed to fit more fish in there than I would have dared to, but it seems to be working out well.

Very impressive! Looks really good, even with the cyano. lol

You managed to fit more fish in there than I would have dared to, but it seems to be working out well.

yeah honestly I wish I had one less fish and I was at the point with all the aggression to get rid of one of the clowns trading it in at the local fish store but I just kept telling myself give them one more day and finally the day came and the aggression is gone. now if it starts back up again i may have to consider giving him a new home but as long as everyone is happy and my parameters are good I don't see a need to split up the pair of clowns.

I was bummed because I got the gramma and the watchman because I was trying to get a midas blenny and for 6 weeks Iv had it on order at 4 different fish stores and every week they would call me and say they didnt get it. So I gave up and just got a watchman and gramma...this week I get a call from 2 of them saying they got the fish in...but I wont put another fish in the tank its already over stocked...

I was on the wait list for a midas for several weeks. I finally got it and it disappeared a few days later. Major bummer...

Glad youre not gonna go for another fish, that might really put you over, plus that midas is pretty active too so he'd take all the clowns space up. lol

I was on the wait list for a midas for several weeks. I finally got it and it disappeared a few days later. Major bummer...

Glad youre not gonna go for another fish, that might really put you over, plus that midas is pretty active too so he'd take all the clowns space up. lol

yeah when i made the decision to go with the watchman and the gamma was because of that reason, the Midas gets 6" long and is rather active iv heard so I figured it would be just to much for the clowns to deal with and there would just be constant fighting.

Haha I wish,vim taking a break from upgrading I think till I buy a house then I plan on setting up my 75 as a reef or getting a 125 for a reef or fowlr

anyone know how I can get rid of my cyano? I think its gotten past the point I can just suck it out. Also any ideas on the ridding of greenhair algae?

Just did some tests, My Nitrates are .25-.5 Tomorrow is my water change day. My DKH - 9 or 161.1ppm. Calcium - ~420

Well I got some stuff to take care of my phosphate issue it's said to be the best and it better be for the price. It's enough to last me 6+ months so at least that's good. Ordered my ATI lights they will be here Friday. I'm very excited to see how they look and with my phosphate remover and new strong lights I'm hoping to see a much higher growth rate in my tank. Beings through some research I found that cyno and green hair algae actually hinder the growth of corals and I'd much rather see corals grow then algae...

My fuge is working well its growing chaeto like crazy how ever I have no idea what the pod population is like...I don't really see anything in the chaeto but idk if I should be able to really see them or if pods are super tiny.

yeah honestly I wish I had one less fish and I was at the point with all the aggression to get rid of one of the clowns trading it in at the local fish store but I just kept telling myself give them one more day and finally the day came and the aggression is gone. now if it starts back up again i may have to consider giving him a new home but as long as everyone is happy and my parameters are good I don't see a need to split up the pair of clowns.

I was bummed because I got the gramma and the watchman because I was trying to get a midas blenny and for 6 weeks Iv had it on order at 4 different fish stores and every week they would call me and say they didnt get it. So I gave up and just got a watchman and gramma...this week I get a call from 2 of them saying they got the fish in...but I wont put another fish in the tank its already over stocked...

I am looking at adding a new fish to my 29 and have to ask you a question. I have a midas blenny and love him, I can tell you are a fan as well based on your picture. Would I be alright adding a royal gramma to my tank with the midas? Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom