My Clownfish Don't like my Anemones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyenma

Aquarium Advice Regular
So we've had 2 ocellaris clowns in our tank for about 3 months now and we can't seem to get them to like any of the anemones that we put in our tank.
We have a Hammer, and a White Sebae near the front of our tank, but our clowns still just seem to hang out around the back of the tank near the pump.

Is there any way that we can coerce them into liking one of our anemones, or should we just keep trying different anemone? Are there any that are particularly popular with the ocellaris clowns?

We were also thinking about just replacing the clowns or trying to mix in a pair of trues and hope for the best. What would you recommend?

here is our tank

Attachments

• DSCN1360.jpg
    DSCN1360.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1361.jpg
    DSCN1361.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN1362.jpg
    DSCN1362.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 108
How long have the anemones been in there?? They dont always take to an anemone right away. U gotta just give them some time and make sure the water quality is good.

From what I understand sometimes they never host with anemones. Hopefully that is not your case, good luck!

Most Clown Fish will not host an Anemone at all... But Most Ocellaris Clowns are popular with a BTA or RBTA.. But that's not always 100% all the time...

people on here said it took 3 years or so for there clowns to host.. ive had mine for 6 months and gave up on it hosting to anything in my tank... you would be suprised.. they host to rocks even LOL. Dont give up and just let the anemones grow. eventually they will either host... or be consumed by a anemone thats the size of the tank.. that was a joke 0_o

i have had the hammer for 3 months and the sabae for a week or so. umm what about mixing clowns any ideas on that??

I guess you know that the hammer is not an anenome right. It`s an LPS coral. My tomato host my hammer coral as you can see. Both my clowns ignored my anenome to host corals.

100_1013.JPG

Hosting an anemone in the wild is a necessity for survival, yet a luxury in our systems. We try not to house animals that will predate on each other so why would the clownfish feel a need to secure itself within an anemone? I would not bother switching species as it won't increase the % of having them host the anemone. By the way, your anemone looks to be severely bleached from the first pic.

Have you tried a frogspawn coral. That might entice them. However are they tank bred. That is the problem with the tank bred clowns. I do however promote it. Yet the clowns caught in the wild are more likely to host an anemone due to it is part of their nature and they use the anemone in the wild for refuge.

Back
Top Bottom