My first saltwater- 27 gallon cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, no aggression that I've seen during the day and at night, the gramma goes into a lr cave while the clowns sleep vertically in the corner of the tank. Occasionally, I'll see the larger clown chase the smaller, but never any confrontations with the royal gramma. I though clowns were pretty passive. Is that not true?

Definitely not true! I have a pair of Percs that will bite the crap out of me everytime I am working in my tank. They are pretty territorial. Don't mean they are the cause of other's fish's fin problems but they are the likely culprit.

I'll keep an eye out for aggression, but someone is awake in our house almost all the time and the tank is in our living room, so I think we would have noticed. The three fish swim peacefully together, often in the same area, with no issues. The clowns do seem to have a territory they hang out in (the right side of the tank), but they've never chased the gramma away. Eventually, I want to get a yellow watchman goby. I'm hoping that won't cause aggression issues, since the goby hangs out on the bottom. I'm not planning on adding the goby for a couple months.

Well, regardless of what caused the problem, my royal gramma doesn't look so good. I went to bed late last night and the gramma went into the rocks and the clowns went to sleep in the corner after the lights went off, as usual. I woke up early and all fish were still sleeping. When the lights came on, the gramma refused to come out of a cramped space in the rocks. When she ventured out to grab a bite of food, I could see her tail was worse. I decided to set up a hospital tank. We ran out to grab the supplies we needed (and a kitten :) ). When we got back, her tail was practically gone. I think there was something bacterial involved, so I have her isolated and I treated her with melafix. I put a tiny piece of live rock in the tank and she's still hiding under it. I've got my fingers crossed that she pulls through.

probably a really good idea to set her (him) up in a hospital tank. i so hope it survives. i thought of something else that may be possible. live rock is live because of the critters that are in it. perhaps you have something in that cave that is chewing on the gramma. maybe someone here on the thread can give you an idea if this is possible and what to do about it. the only thing so far i've seen on mine was a bristleworm, and i haven't seen it in a couple of weeks. let's see what everybody says and if it's possible. i'm a praying woman, even for a little fish.

I am so very sorry. i know how it feels to lose a pet, especially one as pretty as she was and with how hard you worked to help her survive. i hope you are able to find out the cause, so you don't have to go through this again.

Back
Top Bottom