My Fluval Edge Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickB8951

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am preparing to change my Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank into a saltwater setup. I am aware that it is more difficult to maintain such a small setup, but i am ready for the challenge! What will I need to change as far as equipment in order for this project to be successful?

I just started my Edge 6 gallon saltwater about 6 days ago. Started with live sand, a couple pds live rock, some base rock and now cycling. Now I broke a golden rule, and added a damsel around the fourth day, but it's eating well, and progressing fine so far, so no worries. This isn't my first time around the saltwater block so I felt comfortable cycling this way. The damsel may become permanent resident or return to LFS once I'm ready to add a clown or goby and CUC once cycled. Not decided yet. My Edge tank is the new LED lighting model, so I'm interested to see how it does.. At this point I have not added anything extra except a pre-filter sponge made for the Edge HOB filter's intake tube... Once I add corals I'll probably add a nano pump for more flow/circulation.......

I just started my Edge 6 gallon saltwater about 6 days ago. Started with live sand, a couple pds live rock, some base rock and now cycling. Now I broke a golden rule, and added a damsel around the fourth day, but it's eating well, and progressing fine so far, so no worries. This isn't my first time around the saltwater block so I felt comfortable cycling this way. The damsel may become permanent resident or return to LFS once I'm ready to add a clown or goby and CUC once cycled. Not decided yet. My Edge tank is the new LED lighting model, so I'm interested to see how it does.. At this point I have not added anything extra except a pre-filter sponge made for the Edge HOB filter's intake tube... Once I add corals I'll probably add a nano pump for more flow/circulation.......

What kind of live rock would you recommend? How many lbs. of live sand did you need to buy?

I used Caribsea Aragonite Live sand........I had to get a 10lb bag because that's the smallest I could find, but I only used about half the bag in the tank, so I resealed the rest and just stored it for now... I used a couple lb of uncured live rock, about a lb of base rock, and then added a couple lb cured live rock a few days later. Starting to see a bit of growth on the cured and base rock already....I also used already made saltwater from the LFS, because I didn't feel like mixing my own this time... Used a 5 gallon jug to start, which will just about fill it with the sand and rock being added. Needed to top it off just a smidgin after another re-fill trip to the LFS. And I have a 1 gallon jug of distilled water for topping off evaporation when needed.....

I went for the 12g version... Wait and see with the lighting I think. ..

ForumRunner_20120412_123757.jpg

ForumRunner_20120412_123833.jpg

I'm wanting to keep some soft corals in this setup. I replaced the original halogen lights with LED's. Will This light work for corals?

The replacement units are still relatively low light... When its mature you could perhaps try some mushrooms...polyps...maybe a low light zoa?
Some larger soft corals may work too such as a leather or toadstool but you would have to check the output...

Generally anything 6200k+ is just enough for soft corals Anything 8000k+ will be fine for hard corals.

I have a pewter couloured 6g in my attic which i never had any joy with corals in... But that maybe water quality due to having fiah in there too?

I would say give the leds a go with cheap softies and keep the fish to an absolute minimum!

The replacement units are still relatively low light... When its mature you could perhaps try some mushrooms...polyps...maybe a low light zoa?
Some larger soft corals may work too such as a leather or toadstool but you would have to check the output...

Generally anything 6200k+ is just enough for soft corals Anything 8000k+ will be fine for hard corals.

I have a pewter couloured 6g in my attic which i never had any joy with corals in... But that maybe water quality due to having fiah in there too?

I would say give the leds a go with cheap softies and keep the fish to an absolute minimum!

Thanks! I'm gonna give it a try after I get the tank set up and cycled.

I went to my LFS and got some live sand, 4 lbs. of live rock and a 5 gal. jug of Saltwater. Still a little cloudy, but here's the setup so far!

Attachments

• 4.13 1.jpg
    4.13 1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 04.13 2.jpg
    04.13 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 04.13 3.jpg
    04.13 3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 302
Ive just purchased and installed the Aquaray MiniLED 500.
This fits perfectly under the hood when the existing light unit is removed.
The light unit itself is 4 x 10000k high output Led marine whites and an unlensed blue led.
Described by TMC as being perfect for a full reef spectrum.

Have to say, its a lovely unit and excellent light output and distribution. I have read reviews that it was slightly yellow. But its fae from it!

I attached one end of the fixing bracket to the unit then using aquarium silicone, stuck the light and bracket to the plastic of the hood. Discreet and clean, also no damage to the hood itself so that the light can be removed if required leaving no marks...

ForumRunner_20120419_160959.jpg

ForumRunner_20120419_161016.jpg

ForumRunner_20120419_161036.jpg

ForumRunner_20120419_161100.jpg

I just added a 6" blue LED strip for lighting. Here's a pic with only the blue light on. Also added a Hydor Pico power head 180 GPH. It is working great! Next step is to add some coral. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 4.21 1.jpg
    4.21 1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 4.21 2.jpg
    4.21 2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 207
Here's a pic of the light attachment, and a tank shot with both lights on.

Attachments

• 4.21 3.jpg
    4.21 3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 201
  • 4.21 4.jpg
    4.21 4.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 216
Just added 3 corals (Candycane, Xenia, Torch)

Attachments

• 4.24 1.jpg
    4.24 1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 4.24 2.jpg
    4.24 2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 4.24 3.jpg
    4.24 3.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 4.24 4.jpg
    4.24 4.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 262
Looking good! How about some ricordia mushrooms, very colorful and they look spectacular under blue lights. :)

Here's mine so far, no corals yet.........Wheeler's Goby, Black Ocellaris Clown and a Green Chromis...... Turbo snail and Hermit crabs for CUC.....

Attachments

• Reef2.jpg
    Reef2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Reef3.jpg
    Reef3.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Reef4.jpg
    Reef4.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 150
New LED lighting as it came on my Edge........

Attachments

• Reef5.jpg
    Reef5.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Reef6.jpg
    Reef6.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Reef7.jpg
    Reef7.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Reef8.jpg
    Reef8.jpg