Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #11

When o was thinking about a pico i really like this set up
Nano Sky High Clarity Glass Aquarium NS-4G

Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I really appreciate all of the input so far, but maybe I should first start with the reasons I want a pico reef.

1. I've heard people say that it is just as expensive to do a small tank as it is to do a big tank, but I just don't see how it's possible. When buying live rock and stuff, wouldn't it be much cheaper to buy 6 pounds than 20 pounds?

2. I am pretty good with routine. I love taking on new hobbies and I love learning. My idea was to ease into this one step at a time. I was going to start with live rock and be interested to see if any creatures came out if it. Then I was going to add some shrimp to watch. Then add easy corals, etc.

3. Wouldn't it be much better for me to get a small one and be horrible at it and give up saltwater and just be out the money I spent for a 5 gallon than be out everything I spend for a big one?

4. Space. My husband does not share my passion for fish, so I have my tanks in a spare bedroom, and there is just not room for a huge one.

With all of that being said, I really want to start with a pico, and I'm just going to hope it goes well.

So, to get started, I need a
Tank
1 lb of sand per gallon
1 lb of rock per gallon
1 power head (small)
Reef test kit
Hydrometer
Thermometer
small heater
Salt mix

Is there anything else I need to start? I don't have a LFS near me that sells salt equipment, so this part is going to take me a while, because most I am going to have to order (plus it may be cheaper if I'm patient and find this stuff online)

Also, I saw a posting on Craigslist of a person with a 6 gallon fluval edge for $45!!! I'm hoping they still have it. However, if it doesn't work out, is a cylinder tank good for a pico reef, or should I go with something cubed?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just make sure u get a highoutput for lights so that your coral will grow and the nano reef i think thats a great idea dont let anyone tell u you cant iam also starting a 10 gallon reef right now for the first time
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaasian
Just make sure u get a highoutput for lights so that your coral will grow and the nano reef i think thats a great idea dont let anyone tell u you cant iam also starting a 10 gallon reef right now for the first time
How much output should I get for a 10 gallon or smaller?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaasian View Post
I would get an evolve 8, they are about 6 gallons in water volume, you save money because you dont have to buy a power head becauseu they have one built in. they are great little tanks and all you need to do if you get one is.

Buy sand (only if you want to sand is no needed in a tank)

Buy Rock (you dont need 1lb per gallon you can use how ever much or little as you want.)

Buy a light that will grow coral. Most of us use a Par 38 it seems like but there are other options
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heres the Par 38 Bulb I use you just screw it into a regular light fixture so you can choose to buy a clip on one from the same supplier as the light or find a different alternative.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs
Heres the Par 38 Bulb I use you just screw it into a regular light fixture so you can choose to buy a clip on one from the same supplier as the light or find a different alternative.
Perfect! Thank you!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is my ten gallon
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1945764101.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	124829
Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope you get the deal from craigslist! Might want to see if you can drop the price b/c usually people are willing to negotiate.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I haven't heard from the Craigslist people yet. Anyone ever tried making a glass one? I'd really like a rimless glass aquarium. Anyone ever found a plan for one that also includes a glass lid of some sort? If so, I'd appreciate the link.

Also, if I made an 8 gallon aquarium and eventually got corals, do you think I could do without the power head, as someone suggested, and just do an hob filter with live rubble instead of the filter. If so, what size filter would I need to provide enough flow?

Tags
journal, pico

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com